Originally Posted by pittipuppylove
Cary, I meen no disrespect, but would you be willing to post a link to a reputable source (eg. a VIN article) that backs up that Peace lilies are not toxic? lol As a pre-vet student, I'm very interested in this topic.
I can't cut and paste VIN discussions as that is against the terms of service, but I can paraphrase a toxicologist who said that Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum spp.) and Calla lilies (Zantedeschia spp.) contain insoluble calcium oxalates and so cause oral and gastrointestinal irritation in dogs and cats but not acute renal failure the way true lilies do.
And this is from a session on Plant Toxicology from the British Small Animal Veterinary Congress of 2007, discussing the toxicity of true lilies (which peace lilies aren't):
Lilium and Hemerocallis (Day Lily) Spp
Species involved include: Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum
), tiger lily (L. tigrinum
), rubrum lily (L. speciosum
), stargazer lily (L. auratum
), Japanese show lily (L. lancifolimu
) and Hemerocallis
species. Neither lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis) nor the peace lily (Spathiphyllum spp) are true lilies and therefore do not have the same effects.
The toxin is unknown and all parts of the plant are toxic, leaves are often involved (Easter lily flowers are more toxic than the leaves).
Typical clinical signs include vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, oliguria/anuria (acute renal failure in cats), central nervous system (CNS) signs, e.g., ataxia, head pressing, disorientation, tremors, seizures. Signs of toxicosis develop within 12 hours of ingestion and progress to renal failure within 2-3 days. Biochemistry reflects the renal failure and changes include azotaemia, hyperkalaemia and hyperphosphataemia. Urinalysis may reveal epithelial casts, submaximally concentrated specific gravity (inappropriate for the degree of azotaemia) and glucosuria. Treatment includes supportive management, e.g., early decontamination (induce emesis if <2 hours from ingestion, adsorbent administration), prevention/ treatment of renal failure and maintenance of fluid/electrolyte and acid-base balance. Fluid therapy should be continued for at least 48 hours to achieve diuresis, and renal function, including urine output, should be monitored.
Dialysis may be required. If this toxicity occurs in a country where renal transplantation is available, it can be considered.