Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #31 
Laki

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poi...oa-peace-lily/
I wouldn't risk it.

Chocolate, I keep mine at 80-1F. They love it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thanks I wanted to make sure Carter was okay.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #33 
pittipuppylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryliss View Post
Just FYI, Peace Lilies (Spathiphyllum) are not lilies, therefore are not toxic to cats. The worst to expect would be stomach upset.
<<is a veterinarian
Cary, I meen no disrespect, but would you be willing to post a link to a reputable source (eg. a VIN article) that backs up that Peace lilies are not toxic? lol As a pre-vet student, I'm very interested in this topic.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #34 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They are poisonus most common house plants are poisonus.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #35 
Caryliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Cary, I meen no disrespect, but would you be willing to post a link to a reputable source (eg. a VIN article) that backs up that Peace lilies are not toxic? lol As a pre-vet student, I'm very interested in this topic.
I can't cut and paste VIN discussions as that is against the terms of service, but I can paraphrase a toxicologist who said that Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum spp.) and Calla lilies (Zantedeschia spp.) contain insoluble calcium oxalates and so cause oral and gastrointestinal irritation in dogs and cats but not acute renal failure the way true lilies do.

And this is from a session on Plant Toxicology from the British Small Animal Veterinary Congress of 2007, discussing the toxicity of true lilies (which peace lilies aren't):

Lilium and Hemerocallis (Day Lily) Spp
Species involved include: Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum), tiger lily (L. tigrinum), rubrum lily (L. speciosum), stargazer lily (L. auratum), Japanese show lily (L. lancifolimu) and Hemerocallis species. Neither lily-of-the-valley (Convallaria majalis) nor the peace lily (Spathiphyllum spp) are true lilies and therefore do not have the same effects. The toxin is unknown and all parts of the plant are toxic, leaves are often involved (Easter lily flowers are more toxic than the leaves).
Typical clinical signs include vomiting, anorexia, lethargy, oliguria/anuria (acute renal failure in cats), central nervous system (CNS) signs, e.g., ataxia, head pressing, disorientation, tremors, seizures. Signs of toxicosis develop within 12 hours of ingestion and progress to renal failure within 2-3 days. Biochemistry reflects the renal failure and changes include azotaemia, hyperkalaemia and hyperphosphataemia. Urinalysis may reveal epithelial casts, submaximally concentrated specific gravity (inappropriate for the degree of azotaemia) and glucosuria. Treatment includes supportive management, e.g., early decontamination (induce emesis if <2 hours from ingestion, adsorbent administration), prevention/ treatment of renal failure and maintenance of fluid/electrolyte and acid-base balance. Fluid therapy should be continued for at least 48 hours to achieve diuresis, and renal function, including urine output, should be monitored.
Dialysis may be required. If this toxicity occurs in a country where renal transplantation is available, it can be considered.
Caryliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #36 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So they are mildly poisonous.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #37 
pittipuppylove

Thank you for posting that, and I stand corrected!

Chocolate, If I read the source that Cary posted correctly, Peace Lilies can cause irritation of the mouth, esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc., but will not cause kidney failure like a true lily would. Therefore, Peace Lilies are nowhere near as toxic as true lilies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 10-28-2012 at 08:21 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #38 
rubinthebetta

That certainly clears things up. I just read four pages of this and was extremely confused about whether peace lilies are toxic or not. So from what I can tell, peace lilies are poisonous, but not deadly. BTW, congrats on upgrading Bilbo, LegalEagle!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I meant mild as not super serous poinsettas are a common household plant and are mildly poisonus but to kill a healthy person it is like 1000 per ten pounds.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #40 
LegalEagle2009

Thanks! Bilbo seems pretty happy in his new cube.

And peace lily was returned (not taking any chances). I may pull the mondo grass out and exchange it too.
LegalEagle2009 is offline   Reply With Quote