Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 
Surferjo

Aqueon Mini heater question

My 2 gal Fluval keeps at about 74-76 so I decided to pick up a heater for Bernie Kosar (yes my Beta's name is Bernie Kosar).

It says if the air temp is above 78 you don't need to use it. I assume it has some sort of thermal sensor that shuts it down at a certain temp but last night the tank was up to 84 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/mini-heater.htm

Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

I'm having the same problem with my mini heater! My tank was 90 yesterday morning. I'm flipping out but my fish seems fine and active. If I turn it off all day the water goes down to 70. If I leave it on it gets up to 85 or 90. I'm gonna get a bigger tank soon.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 
Surferjo

Im thinking of picking up one of the $5 timers from home depot and set it to go on and off. they can be set to switch on/off every 30 mins.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #4 
BlueJWebb

The pre-set heaters generally don't heat the tank to a set temperature and turn off, they heat the water to a set amount of degrees over room temperature. I would recommend these as you can have some kind of control of how much over room temperature it heats your water:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Sub...I2T1NEHVAR4UEX

I own this one, but it cannot be fully submerged and it is not shatter proof like the one above. But it has yet to fail me. I use it in a 2.5 gallon. Just make sure you follow the instructions.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00
BlueJWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #5 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Yep, don't get the aqueon mini heater it overheats! Mine almost wet to a 100! I don't bother using it anymore; I never tried returning it. If you want a good pre-set heater go for the Marina 10c heater. 10 watts is perfect for the smaller sized tanks and this one never goes above 78. Mine has been going for 5 and a half months now. :D
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #6 
Surferjo

@LeoTheLakerBetta Your kidding me!!!!I had the Marina in my hand and at petsmart and put it back when i saw the Aqueon. Errrrrrr!!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #7 
jsgossamer

I have two aqueons and so far they are keeping the tanks at 78. Will have to diligently check them now that they have an overheating issue. yikes.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
My 2 gal Fluval keeps at about 74-76 so I decided to pick up a heater for Bernie Kosar (yes my Beta's name is Bernie Kosar).

It says if the air temp is above 78 you don't need to use it. I assume it has some sort of thermal sensor that shuts it down at a certain temp but last night the tank was up to 84 degrees. Am I doing something wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/mini-heater.htm

OMGjust bought this for my 3 gal. and it is not even working! Just turned it o right now! i am subscribing to this thread!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

return them and get a hagen elite 25w from amazon. cheaper and a million times more reliable....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #10 
Surferjo

Need a submersable with the flival.