Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Fin Rot getting worse after water change!

My male betta has pretty severe fin rot so I moved him to a cycled 10 gallon tank to treat him. Before adding the treatment, I tested the water and there was 0 ammonia in it but I did a 25% water change to make it extra clean. My tap water has 1ppm ammonia in it, so I put some prime in to neutralize it while the filter took it out.
For some reason after the water change, my filter lost it's cycle. Even though I didn't do anything to it, it won't take out the ammonia any more. Because of this, the tank ammonia is at 0.25ppm and I can't get it down.
When I came down in the morning after the water change, my bettas tail was way worse. There were a lot more tatters and they were deeper. I've never seen the fin rot move so fast before. The next day however, the progress slowed with no visible changes in the night. Why did the fin rot move so fast that first night after the water change? Is this normal? Also, does anyone know why my filter suddenly lost it's cycle? It's been cycled for almost 2 months.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sounds like fin nipping.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #3 
twolovers101

I have had similar experience with aggressive fin rot, progressing slowly at first and then one day I saw Nova's fins practically dissolving before my eyes.

First thing I did was get him into a 1 gal hospital tank and did an AQ salt treatment for 10 days. The salt slowed the progression, but after the treatment it kicked back up again, so I pulled out the big guns.

So I did a Maracy I and II treatment (both at once) and some stress coat for 5 days last week and I'm already seeing A LOT of regrowth. He did nip his fin a couple of days ago, but I figured it was because he was bored because his hospital tank was empty xD Added a few live plants until I can get his new 5.5 going

Some times I think, fin rot just suddenly spurs into action and just eats away at fins like I saw with Nova.

If I were you, I'd get him in a smaller, slightly easier to manage tank, and do 100% daily changes with AQ salt for a start and see what happens. If it improves then you're good to go. If not, I suggest the maracyn route.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 
Leopardfire

I have a 2.5 gallon I could set up with ammo chips to keep out ammonia. However, I'm worried that 100% daily water changes will stress out my betta so he will be weakened and unable to recover from his fin rot. I want to treat with triple sulfa, but I don't know how to dose a 2.5 gallon. Also, I'm not sure if I could change the water that much while he's on meds. Are 100% water changes necessary if there's 0 ammonia?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #5 
twolovers101

I'll admit, Nova was a bit stressed after the first couple of times I did the water changes, but he soon got used to it and would just swim willingly into the cup, he's been a bit stubborn lately though XD

The water changes worked just fine for me. As for figuring out dosage I just did the math. For maracyn I and II one packet treats 10 gallons, so I divided each into even tenths and it worked out fine :) If I'm correct, triple sulfa is the same with one packet equaling 10 gallons, so you could just divide it into tenths, and use 2 and 1/2 of each section.

I just wanted to be on the super safe side and not accidentally over dose since I was mostly eyeballing the amount of meds to use, plus I was working with a 1 gal, so I needed to do almost daily changes anyway.

Is your betta easily stressed? (stripes and all)

I don't know a ton about medicating, I just know what worked for me. Have you tried the AQ salt route at all? Many times that's better than medicating because bacteria can develop resistances to meds, as can the fish (it can happen with AQ salt too, but I don't think it's as common?)

Other than that, I don't know what other advise to give, you might try asking Sakura8, she's supposed to be a good authority on these types of things I think
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say aquarium salt helps.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #7 
Leopardfire

Quote:
I'll admit, Nova was a bit stressed after the first couple of times I did the water changes, but he soon got used to it and would just swim willingly into the cup, he's been a bit stubborn lately though XD
The water changes worked just fine for me. As for figuring out dosage I just did the math. For maracyn I and II one packet treats 10 gallons, so I divided each into even tenths and it worked out fine :) If I'm correct, triple sulfa is the same with one packet equaling 10 gallons, so you could just divide it into tenths, and use 2 and 1/2 of each section.
I just wanted to be on the super safe side and not accidentally over dose since I was mostly eyeballing the amount of meds to use, plus I was working with a 1 gal, so I needed to do almost daily changes anyway.
Is your betta easily stressed? (stripes and all)
I don't know a ton about medicating, I just know what worked for me. Have you tried the AQ salt route at all? Many times that's better than medicating because bacteria can develop resistances to meds, as can the fish (it can happen with AQ salt too, but I don't think it's as common?)
Other than that, I don't know what other advise to give, you might try asking Sakura8, she's supposed to be a good authority on these types of things I think
I can't use AQ salt because my tap water has 1ppm ammonia and ammo chips won't work with salt so my betta would constantly be exposed to high levels of ammonia which would prevent healing. I tried it before and it didn't work because of this. My only option is to medicate. I've never seen stress stripes on my betta, but since he's really dark it would be hard to tell. He didn't like being netted though so I know it was stressful for him. How did you get your betta to go into his cup nicely? Also, how long did it take to see regrowth?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #8 
twolovers101

Ah, I see now :)

At first I would just use the suction effect so he would just get scooped up into the cup, but once he realized it was only for a little while, after a few days I guess? I would just gently put the cup half way in the water, and he would usually just go right into it (I use a clear plastic cup for this if that helps) I don't use nets if I can help it xD

And after the 5 day treatment I had to go away for 2 days, and when I came back he had a little bit of clear-ish regrowth all around the damaged area, so 2-3 days perhaps to see new growth? it's about oh maybe 2 millimeters all the way around xD
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you sure the additional damage is fin rot & not from the filter intake or decoration/plants? You're not suppose to net male Bettas because it can damage their fins or at leas that's what I've been told. I always just dip the cup in next to them & they're sucked into it as someone else mentioned.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #10 
Leopardfire

Quote:
And after the 5 day treatment I had to go away for 2 days, and when I came back he had a little bit of clear-ish regrowth all around the damaged area, so 2-3 days perhaps to see new growth? it's about oh maybe 2 millimeters all the way around
So the growth occurred after finishing the treatment? I always thought you were supposed to see it during treatment.
I'll try using a cup to make netting less stressful. Also, should I decorate the QT tank? It would make water changes harder, but it might make my betta more secure with places to rest and hide.

Tags
ammonia, cycle problems, fin rot, water change, worse