Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

If he lost alot of fin in a very short period of time it is highly likely that he bit his fins off.

If it looks like this then its tail bitting. This guy was a HM but he didn't care for his fins and always bit them off

I have one guy that bites them off every time i do a water change..ever.single.time
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
So the growth occurred after finishing the treatment? I always thought you were supposed to see it during treatment.
I'll try using a cup to make netting less stressful. Also, should I decorate the QT tank? It would make water changes harder, but it might make my betta more secure with places to rest and hide.
You don't have to fully decorate it. If I have to use a 1g container for a hospital then I put in one silk plant that's of medium size. In my 10g QT tank I have several silk plants, some cave structures & I use the larger rocks for the bottom. Easy to clean & the Bettas have a place to rest or hide.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #13 
Leopardfire

Quote:
If he lost alot of fin in a very short period of time it is highly likely that he bit his fins off.
If it looks like this then its tail bitting. This guy was a HM but he didn't care for his fins and always bit them off
My betta's tail looks just like this. He has snips in his tail that look like scissors or something cut it. I didn't think it could be tail biting because his pectoral fin looked a bit ragged too, but it looks just like the betta in the picture. I don't know what he has now!
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #14 
BETTACHKALOVE

can you post his picture?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #15 
Leopardfire

Here's some pics. He wouldn't flare so it is hard to see the full rips. What do you think?

Here is an older pic I took of him about 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

He does not look bad at all. I don't have experience with ammonia in the water. Usually i would recommend just more water changes with mild case of fin rot or tail biting.
I am wondering if you can lower the ammonia with ammo chips or Prime and do more water changes?

If your betta don't have any behavior changes and if his fins don't ger worse do not treat him with medications. Especially if you already treat him before. And i am not sure how old is he but if you manage to keep him like that i think he is fine. I am not sure how he was before though. Your fish looks pretty healthy. Those black ends are you sure it not his natural coloration?

If you don't get answer on cycling or if you still have problem with ammonia i advice you to pm Sakura8 or Oldfishlady to look at your post. I would think they might give you advice.
But i don't really see how it got so bad because his fins don't look bad at all unless you will really think it will get shorter and shorter , more ragged, more black at the ends.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #17 
Leopardfire

I can definitely control the ammonia with ammo chips so do you think I should hold off on the meds? His tail doesn't improve or get worse on a day to day basis, but if the ammonia levels spike, the fin rot will get more severe in the night and then go back to normal. I want his fins to get better and since salt isn't an option, the only thing I can think of is meds. Is there a possibility he could also be tail biting?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #18 
BETTACHKALOVE

his tail really don't look bad. From the picture i would not say that he is tail bitter. Usually it looks like ''u'' shape with tail biting. My tail bitter looks a little different. But i think with tail like that they tend to have splits like he has. Less water movement actually better for him. And make sure you don't have plastic plants.

No if he don't get worse i would not treat him. Since you have ammonia problem and he will keep getting the same problem you can't treat him all the time anyway. But if you can get ammonia down and do more water changes. I am curious if you will use half of the bottle water will it help to bring the ammonia down? Did you tried it before? I used deer park brand spring water before for a few of my bettas.

Also i know some one on this forum that i was talking to and i think she also had ammonia in her tap water. Not sure if it was just one time or all the time. If you want i can try to pm her and see what she does for her betta.

Let me know.

But yes if your fish don't get worse don't use meds. You need to try fix the cause of the problem first.

How long you have him?

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 10-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #19 
twolovers101

The rips make it look like he's tail biting...

And yes, I did see regrowth after the treatment, I think the reason why most people say they see regrowth during the treatment is because most people continue the treatment UNTIL they see regrowth. I didn't have the opportunity to do that because I had to leave town and had no one I could trust to do proper water changes with the meds, so I let it go on it's own, and I saw healing when I returned :)

As for the actual problem, I would think, after seeing the pictures, that it's tail biting, the fin rot I was dealing with looked quite different. Nova would develop small pin holes in his fins which would get bigger practically over night and the fin would dissolve around it. Do you see something similar with your betta? The black edges of his fins MAY be fin rot, but it looks more like biting to me :/ I don't really know much about tail biters...
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #20 
Leopardfire

Quote:
Also i know some one on this forum that i was talking to and i think she also had ammonia in her tap water. Not sure if it was just one time or all the time. If you want i can try to pm her and see what she does for her betta.
Do you know who it was? It might be useful to see if there's anything I can do to lower my tap ammonia. I'm hoping that once I get my tank cycled, my betta's tail will recover better.

Tags
ammonia, cycle problems, fin rot, water change, worse