Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #21 
BETTACHKALOVE

yes let me find that person i will be back to you.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #22 
BETTACHKALOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
The rips make it look like he's tail biting...

And yes, I did see regrowth after the treatment, I think the reason why most people say they see regrowth during the treatment is because most people continue the treatment UNTIL they see regrowth. I didn't have the opportunity to do that because I had to leave town and had no one I could trust to do proper water changes with the meds, so I let it go on it's own, and I saw healing when I returned :)

As for the actual problem, I would think, after seeing the pictures, that it's tail biting, the fin rot I was dealing with looked quite different. Nova would develop small pin holes in his fins which would get bigger practically over night and the fin would dissolve around it. Do you see something similar with your betta? The black edges of his fins MAY be fin rot, but it looks more like biting to me :/ I don't really know much about tail biters...

If your betta ever has mild case of the fin rot you can and it better to treat it with extra water changes and aquarium salt. Unless it bad case of the fin rot and you need medications.
As for the tail biting you really also can treat with extra water changes with my tail bitter i really never had any problem i just do extra water changes and put stress coat to prevent infections and his tail heals pretty fast.
If you need instructions on the aquarium salt treatment let me know. Never follow the box instructions though.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #23 
BETTACHKALOVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopardfire View Post
Do you know who it was? It might be useful to see if there's anything I can do to lower my tap ammonia. I'm hoping that once I get my tank cycled, my betta's tail will recover better.
I texted someone else who knows who it was . So i think she will pm her your link may be she can give you advice
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #24 
Leopardfire

Thanks, i am interested to find out how she dealt with the ammonia. It seems to be a relatively common problem in some areas.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #25 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
If your betta ever has mild case of the fin rot you can and it better to treat it with extra water changes and aquarium salt. Unless it bad case of the fin rot and you need medications.
As for the tail biting you really also can treat with extra water changes with my tail bitter i really never had any problem i just do extra water changes and put stress coat to prevent infections and his tail heals pretty fast.
If you need instructions on the aquarium salt treatment let me know. Never follow the box instructions though.
It wasn't mild, it was severe and was progressing quickly, tired the AQ salt, didn't work, so I used meds, I research thoroughly before I do almost anything when it comes to my fish.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #26 
Leopardfire

Quote:
f your betta ever has mild case of the fin rot you can and it better to treat it with extra water changes and aquarium salt. Unless it bad case of the fin rot and you need medications.
Because my water has such high ammonia, I water changes don't help and in some cases are harmful. I can't use salt either because my tank isn't cycled and the ammo chips I use to control ammonia won't work in salt water. Even though his fin rot might be easily curable by something like salt, my only option is to use meds.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #27 
BETTACHKALOVE

oh sorry i was texting that girl and taht girl was texting another girl to look at your post. Sorry not sure if she was on line or not. But is he getting worse? Why you want to treat him? If he didn't get worse and if ammo chips control ammonia then can you do more water changes. I mean since ammo chips make water save right? Did i understand it correctly? If it is then you can do more water changes? It just so pointless to treat him if you still continue to have issue with water. If you have him for long time and he been like that all the time then there is not point for meds. Lets wait for that girl to answer one more day. I still hope she can help you. What size of his tank?

Tags
ammonia, cycle problems, fin rot, water change, worse