Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #51 
sjones

FYI I have been floating pothos in my tanks. I take cuttings and just let them float, I take them out and rinse them during 100% waterchanges. I replace them when the leaves begin to degrade. I now have a million pothos plants! Arg! My fish love the leaves for bubble nests.. I do watch out for the roots though as I have heard the fish can become entangled in them. I think they are a great alternative to silk plants.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So do the leaves start to grow above the water and what do you mean you get more plants you cut them when you see the opprotunity to grow more?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #53 
sareena79

yeah i had his floating with roots in and leaves out for about 4-5mo and one day I decided to see how he liked it submerged. I read that it can and it cant live submerged but so far so good. Sushi loves it, it looks nice and the plant seems just fine. If it starts looking funky i will take it out immediately and replace it with a new cutting with only the roots in the water. I rinse my plant at every water change too and trim the roots periodically as well so no danger of tangling. in fact right now the roots are under his gems and fake plant so they are covered
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They will survive a few months by then leaves might be above the surface,
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #55 
Kytkattin

I too did a 2 gallon experiment where I didn't do a change for a few months (though still testing the water) while being moderately planted. It worked until the female betta grew so darn big (you can see her before and after pics in my siggy). She is now in a 5.5 that is completely overstocked, and a male lives in the 2 gal with one 25-50% water change a week or so. With enough plants you don't have to change much. Actually, with a lot of plants frequent water changes do more harm than good since dechlorinator removes some of the nutrients they need.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #56 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

In my heavily planted tanks I do regular water changes.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #57 
Kytkattin

It is fine to do water changes frequently and on a regular schedule, but for the purposes of my experiment the water levels were monitored and the lack of water changes resulted in no fish death or disease in any way. What it proves? There is no one right way to keep a fish tank and there never will be.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #58 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
It is fine to do water changes frequently and on a regular schedule, but for the purposes of my experiment the water levels were monitored and the lack of water changes resulted in no fish death or disease in any way. What it proves? There is no one right way to keep a fish tank and there never will be.
Lol I did something similar. That thread got bashed so badly. But it was expected.

I was very into self sustaining aquariums when I got into the hobby, and the circumstances at the time allowed me to experiment... how many fish can I add to a 1 gallon non filtered heavily planted tank whilst keeping parameters at zero?

So in a 1 gallon I ended up with...
2 corydoras, 2 otos, 3 endlers, a million ramshorns and mts, 1 nerite, 6 cherry shrimps and 3 ghost shrimps. I always overfed the tank... however, I never found out how many I can add because I realized that even with params at 0, CO2 levels at night with such a crowd had the fish gasping at the surface, so I added an airstone and left it at that. after a few months, I could get bigger tanks for bettas and re-homed everyone to much larger tanks :)

lol the poor fishies, but like your female, the endlers started so small and ended up being so full grown and colorful XD.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:52 PM   #59 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
Actually there is fish keeping is an exact science aquaculture.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #60 
sareena79

Quote:
Lol I did something similar. That thread got bashed so badly. But it was expected.
Quote:
There is no one right way to keep a fish tank and there never will be.
I saw that thread and I actually thought it was neat how u did that and u are right, there is more than one right way to do things, its just getting others (^^^^^) to realize that and BACK OFF that can be interesting lol
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote