Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #1 
Odinsfury

Healing a betta's torn fins

I've been reading these forums for the past month but this is my first post. I have 2 bettas each in 10 gallon tanks sitting side by side. Last week I switched the filters from aqueon 10's to sponge filters. I have noticed an improvement in their swimming since I took out the strong hob filters. I think they were too strong for them.

This week I noticed that one of my bettas has torn and frayed fins. Portions of the tail seem to be missing. It does not appear to be fin rot. There were a few plastic plants in there but since I noticed his fins were damaged I removed them, so now only live plants remain. His tank has gravel while my other betta's tank has sand. I was wondering if the gravel could be the cause of his fin damage. If it poses a danger I can switch his tank to sand.

I have begun to do daily 50% water changes and I have raised the temperature to 82F. I was wondering if I should add any salt.
Odinsfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Maybe he's tail biting. Is it just like a bite mark? Sorta like a crescent shape? Gravel is smooth and it won't cause fin damage. Don't add any salt, especially if there's a filter. No need to do daily changes, that can stress him and it's not necessary. Keep his water clean, though.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote