Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 
Gracie8890

Planted aquarium?

Im trying to decide whether or not to buy a bunch of plants and make blitz's 10g a planted tank or not. So anyways, how would i need to care for a planted tank and what are the best beginner plants? And can i use gravel with a planted tank? I would prefer it if i could. Also if you can post pics of ur planted tank that would be amazing! It would give me many ideas. Im trying to stick with the asian theme tho
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
Gracie8890

Is there any way to move this thread? I just realized i posted it in the wrong section... Sorry :)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Hygro anuibus java moss anarchis hornwort and crypts.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's ok, the thread isnt too out of place here.
First look into what kind of light will be available for your tank. for healthy plant growth you will need a 6500k flourescent light bulb.
After you get your light, you can then decide on the plants

A good start would be some lowlight plants. I highly recommend water wisteria and water sprite as they are simply lovely plants. and often not too expensive.m
Next I recommend crypts, these add variety to you tank with their large slender leaves.
Then the other easy plants include Java moss, Anubias, Java fern(however I always manage to kill this), anacharis, naja grass
easy floaters include salvinia and duckweed.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Cryot Wendettia is best.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

just remember: even if the package says "guaranteed snail-free" you HAVE to de-snail them before planting. rinse them thoroughly, then run your fingers along every leaf and stem. if you feel anything gooey and viscous (like a glob of snot or jello, for lack of a better definition) get a paper towel and scrub it off as roughly as you can without hurting the plant. you don't want to end up with one snail that turns into a thousand overnight.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I ignore snails then use assassin snails.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #8 
pittipuppylove

Planted tanks are great (albeit I'm a tad biased, as all my tanks are planted)! As aokashi said, light is very important to plants and will help picking out what to use. Gravel works well - I started out with gravel, and there were no problems at all. Chocolate and aokashi already pointed out a lot of the good starter plants, so I'll just add a picture of one of my tanks and what it contains:
5.5 gallon betta tank, lighting: single 13W compact flourescent - Water Wisteria, Anubias, Green Cabomba, Compacta, Hornwart

Personally, I like my snails, but I know some people don't. I've found that as long as I don't overfeed and keep the tank clean, the snail population stays in check. lol I actually intentionally introduced some "pest" Malasian Trumpet Snails to help keep the sand in some of my tanks aerated and therefore prevent the formation of anerobic pockets.

Last edited by pittipuppylove; 10-26-2012 at 07:59 PM.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

^ that's a good example of tanks with starter plants XD
I phased out my starters a long time ago photos of my tank wont help you much T___T
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 
Gracie8890

Wow thanks! I def think that when i get some money saved up i will my 10g into a planted tank! Cant wait now!