Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
jsgossamer

split tanks and filters

So I have two newly set up 2.5 gallon tanks with homemade dividers in them. They both are running with tetra 3i filters on one side. Is the filter going to work through the divider or will one side just be cleaner than the other?
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

you split a 2.5 gallon?

The minimum for dividing a tank is a 5 gal., but preferably a 10 gal.

one side could become possibly cleaner then the other, so i would upgrade your tank size if you can and put the filter in the middle of the two dividers :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
So I have two newly set up 2.5 gallon tanks with homemade dividers in them. They both are running with tetra 3i filters on one side. Is the filter going to work through the divider or will one side just be cleaner than the other?
2.5 gallons is way too small to divide. even though some bettas thrive in a gallon of water, there's absolutely no way to adequately keep the bettas from seeing each other constantly. think of prison violence: you force aggressive people or animals into confined spaces with each other and the aggression just multiplies. you'll end up either with the stress causing your buddies' immune systems to shut down, or with one of the fish finding away through/over the divider, and in that tight of a space your tank will meet a very quick end.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #4 
jsgossamer

Yes, I split 2.5 gallon tanks. My bettas were all in 1 gallon bowls with no heater and filter so this is an upgrade for them. I have ALWAYS kept bettas next to each other with no issues as many people have and do. They get used to each other and ignore each other after a while. Actually, they tend to be healthier and live longer because they are constantly active. There are plenty of plants for hidey spots if one gets tired or needs a break. There are different ways to keep bettas and as long as they are happy and healthy, that is all that matters.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I never quibble with people over there choice of tank size.

I will, however advise you that the Tetra Whisper 3i is a joke. Only the top 10% of the filter media is in the flow. It neither filters nor is adequate as a reservoir for nitrifying bacteria.

I wish there were a way of suing companies for selling useless products. I wish there were a sticky on this. I'm getting tired of typing ot over and over.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160 Mine is 10 times healthier than yours in a ten gallon please get a five gallon. The divider may work in allowing current but brand depends is it heated if you keep it in a one gallon your no better than people who keep them in bowls.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 10-25-2012 at 06:42 AM.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFYQ8wIwAQ
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #8 
jsgossamer

Perhaps I should just put them back in their tiny cups, bring them back to petco and put them back on the shelves with the other dead and dying ones, which they would have been if I had not purchased them. The way this board does things isnt the only way. I wont be posting here anymore.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #9 
sareena79

all u can do is do the best u can with what u got and upgrade when u can afford it. i agree that almost anything is better than those cups. dont mind the few troublemakes, the majority of people on here are very nice and helpful in my experience
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
Perhaps I should just put them back in their tiny cups, bring them back to petco and put them back on the shelves with the other dead and dying ones, which they would have been if I had not purchased them. The way this board does things isnt the only way. I wont be posting here anymore.
I apologise for the people who argue about this. I dont understand why the majority of people think 1 gallon is ok but a divided 2.5 isn't lol.

There does seem to be quite a bit of tension on here lately... sigh
ao is offline   Reply With Quote