Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1 
mikechamp23

Exclamation Help! betta fighting filter!

Hello! i have a quick question. I just recently put my betta in a 10 gallon tank, and put in a new filter. It was only $10 so it outdoes have an adjustable flow button. It comes out like a waterfall, and i felt like the current was a little too strong for zeus, so i looked up online how to slow the current down. I did this pop bottle method where i cut up a pepsi bottle and it makes the flow slow down drastically and works great! the only problem is that zeus keeps swimming upwards and flaring at it and trying to fight it. i dont know if he enjoys the current or not, but he keeps nipping at it and sitting under it. I looked and it doesnt seem like he is able to see his reflection, but he keeps flaring and fighting it. He has been doing it for like 10-15 mins straight! Help please, im worried he might hurt himself!
mikechamp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #2 
twolovers101

Sometimes bettas flare at black objects like your filter, or he may just be flaring at it because it's new and different. He should be okay once he gets used to it. If you're really concerned you may be able to put a small divider around it somehow that allows water flow... not really sure how that would work, but it's an idea.

He'll probably be fine when he realizes it's not a threat to his territory xD
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #3 
sainthogan

Try using a sponge instead, they should have filter sponges at the pet store.
What brand is your filter?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #4 
mikechamp23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Sometimes bettas flare at black objects like your filter, or he may just be flaring at it because it's new and different. He should be okay once he gets used to it. If you're really concerned you may be able to put a small divider around it somehow that allows water flow... not really sure how that would work, but it's an idea.

He'll probably be fine when he realizes it's not a threat to his territory xD
Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it! I'm keeping an eye on him, but he is still fighting it :p At first, (and i still do partially think) it could be the little "mod"i put on the filter (plastic on the waterfall part) that could be making a reflection and hes fighting it. Before i put that on and the current was stronger but the filter was still black but without the plastic he wasnt messing with it at all.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #5 
mikechamp23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Try using a sponge instead, they should have filter sponges at the pet store.
What brand is your filter?
AQUA-TECH 5-15 power filter
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #6 
twolovers101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechamp23 View Post
Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it! I'm keeping an eye on him, but he is still fighting it :p At first, (and i still do partially think) it could be the little "mod"i put on the filter (plastic on the waterfall part) that could be making a reflection and hes fighting it. Before i put that on and the current was stronger but the filter was still black but without the plastic he wasnt messing with it at all.
Someone on here posted that their betta flared at the plastic bottle baffle they had too... Can't remember when or where, you might try the filter foam instead also like sainthogan suggested on the intake or out flow and see how he reacts to that.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 
mikechamp23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolovers101 View Post
Someone on here posted that their betta flared at the plastic bottle baffle they had too... Can't remember when or where, you might try the filter foam instead also like sainthogan suggested on the intake or out flow and see how he reacts to that.
Yeah, that's probably my best bet..hope there not too expensive :O I'm just trying to help him, why does he have to do this :(

Tags
betta, fighting, filter