Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 
DragonFyre14

Possible tail biter?

So, about a week ago I got a beautiful betta. The cup said he was a veiltail, but he looks kind of like a Halfmoon Double tail. Anyway, he seems like a happy fish and is constantly exploring his 2.5 gallon tank, occasionally hiding under one of his plants.

Today I came home after school and checked on my fish. (found 7 guppy fry in my community tank). And saw that dorsal fin was a bit shredded. I'm not entirely sure if he was biting his fins (or if it's even possible for them to chew on their dorsal fins?)
All I have in the tank is two plastic plants, one with broad green/red leaves (thought he might like it because the leaves curve down on the bottom level and create a bit of a tunnel for him. Also the leaves are broad enough for him to lay on.) the other is green with very short frayed leaves. the only other thing, (besides a bubbler) was a little hollow castle. It does have some slightly pointy spire-ish things and the tunnel doesn't look big enough for him to hide in... I took that out thinking it could possible be the culprit.

So anyway I was just wondering if someone could help me figure out if he is a tail biter and help me find out why he is biting/ how to make it better.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Do any of your plants or decorations have sharp parts on them. I don't see how he could be biting his dorsal fin, but he could be tearing them on the decorations or plants.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #3 
DragonFyre14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Do any of your plants or decorations have sharp parts on them. I don't see how he could be biting his dorsal fin, but he could be tearing them on the decorations or plants.
They don't have any sharp points on them no. His dorsal fin is pretty long and it is just the tip of it so... I think it is possible he was biting it but unlikely. I just can't think of any other reason. He was kinda hungry, and I had left the light off the night before (I read that both could lead them to chew on their tails...)
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #4 
sainthogan

Hmm... I hadn't heard about the light one before, in fact I've heard that they should have all the lights off for a while at night, just like humans.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 
DragonFyre14

Yeah. However, I have the lighting schedule flipped cause I want to be able to see them before I go to sleep. The light is off during the day ( tank doesn't get any natural light during the day) and I turn the light on at night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Oh it's possible for them to chew on their dorsal, anal and tail. I think my Scuzi got his ventral nipped once.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #7 
DragonFyre14

Okay. Guess its just not as common as tail biting. I'm hoping it was kind of a one time thing. I've had him for over a week and he hasn't ever displayed any behavior that would lead me to think he's a tail biter. (Also when i got him none of his fins were ripped or anything.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 
Luimeril

my DTHM has destroyed all four of his fins. if they can reach it with their mouth, they can destroy it. i've heard of Dumbos/Elephant Ears biting their pec fins!

since he's so new, it's possible he's just a tad stressed from the change. just keep an eye on him and keep his water clean to prevent infection. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #9 
DragonFyre14

Okay. Yeah I believe he is part elephant ear. ( he has really large pectoral fins that unlike a lot of bettas I've seen you can actually see.) I sincerly hope he doesn't chew on anymore of his gorgeous fins...
Posted via Mobile Device