Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #1 
BlessedBuffalo

Can I use these items for my Betta?

Since Juan Pablo is my first ever fish and Betta, I didn't know a simple goldfish bowl wasn't good enough for him.

So today I bought him a very nice Aquarius 5 gallon panoramic tank with changable LED lights and a filter! I think he'll love it.~ Apparently this tank is for tropical fish.

Are Bettas tropical?

Will the TetraAqua water drops that came with it be okay to use for his tank? Or should I only use drops especially for Bettas? The package doesn't specify what kind of fish these drop are for.

Also, it came with "Tropical Flakes." Can Juan Pablo eat these? (I dunno if Betta are tropical or not...)

I usually give him Betta-specific pellets, but these flakes came with the tank so can I use them until they're gone? :)

One last question. XD
So Bettas live in hot, humid environments naturally. I dont have a heater for my tank. Will a household heater work? Like, setting it beside his tank? Or is this very different than a stick-heater that goes inside the tank?

Thanks so much for your time!!
-Gabi
BlessedBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

If Bettas live in a hot, humid area then of course they're tropical fish. (; Any water conditioner will do, Seachem Prime is best but you could use that one. Just remember to dose sufficiently. The flakes are okay, but it's best to have Betta specific food, as you said. New Life Spectrum and Attison's are best for Bettas. An aquarium heater is supposed to go IN the tank. I recommend a Hydor THEO heater, best of the best IME!

Welcome to the forum BTW! Oh, and you know when to do water changes, correct? And how to cycle? Read the Stickies in the sub forums!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 
BlessedBuffalo

Thanks for all the tips! I assumed he was tropical, but wanted to make sure, since I'm a newbie. ^^

Thanks, I'll take a look at those! I'm moving him into a new tank for the first time, and this is also my first 'water change', so I've yet to figure out exactly how things should go with cycling. :)
Old 10-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yep. You can't learn anything if you don't ask. No problem, and you have great intentions! (:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #5 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Good basic advice by LebronTheBetta. I also know that a lot of people like to use Omega One Buffet Betta Pellets. I haven't used them myself, but a lot poeple use that. If you really want to finish off the flakes you can feed have the daily intake of pellets to your betta at morning and myabe a little flakes at night. Hmm for heaters I would definitely go with an aquarium heater. As LebronTheBetta said, they go in the tank. If you want a cheaper one, I would recommend the Marina 10c 10 watt heater. Its available at Petsmart.

:D You probably want to check out the stickies like Lebron said. You are doing reat so far; good luck!
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #6 
BlessedBuffalo

Thank you both-- I'm just trying to improve his livelihood beyond what most people think is acceptable for bettas. ^^

I saw these flat heaters at PetCo today. It's a little heated clamp that goes over the side of betta bowls. It was $10. I feel like, because it's so cheap, it's not going to be very good quality. Do either of you know anything about those?
Old 10-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #7 
birdielikestomatoes

Welcome to forums! And good on you for making an effort to improve your bettas life.

Lots of good information above. Personally I wouldn't use the flakes as I've heard that they aren't nearly as good as pellets. As for pellets I use Omega One Betta Buffet ones, but New Life Spectrum and Attison's are also amongst the most nutritious betta foods.

Heaters are also a necessity. I would suggest the Elite Submersible heater, as it comes in a 25w and a 50w. Plus it's also affordable and reliable. The Aqeuon Pro heaters are also great, however they are more costly. I've also heard good things about the THEO that LTB mentioned.

As for water conditioners, again any will work. Seachem Prime is one I hear a lot about as is API Stress Coat. Currently I'm using API Tap Water Conditioner which I feel does it job correctly. But yeah, as long as you're using the right dosage any water conditioner will work.

And as the other two have mentioned you should go look at the stickies for more information. As an added bonus you can also ask as many questions as you'd like and you'll be sure to get some quality answers.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote