Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #1 
Frsher

Help: I can't get the temp regulated on my tank

Hi

I am new to aquariums. Someone gifted me with a Betta and I am trying to keep it alive. It came to me with a 1 gallon tank. Took me about a month and some research and I upped the tank to a 2.5. i can't go higher at the moment, I don't have the table room. My problem:

I bought a heater for the small tank. It said it was for a .5 to 1 gallon mini tank. The heat went to 91. I bought a new heater. Second heater did the same thing. I bought a bigger tank. Used the same heater figuring since the small heater was for a very small tank, more water would mean the temp wouldn't go as high. WRONG. Tank went to 91.

So I took the heater out of the equation.

I read that the filter does emit some heat in the tank and with the light, maybe it would be the right time. Worked well. Temp went to 81. Wonderful. Until I had to turn the light off at night. Then it was 74. Next night, with the light on, it went to 85. Have no idea where it will end up next time.

I went to 3 different aquarium stores, one of which is very well known. All they wanted me to do was buy another aquarium. One tried to tell me that Betta's don't need to be kept warm. One suggested I get a heating pad. I wasn't sure if that meant an actual heating pad or it was a different kind of heater.

How do I keep the temp regulated? Another heater? I can't find a mini that where I can adjust the temp.

Can someone help me please? I really like my fish and would like to keep him.

Thanks in advance.
Frsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
craftyjag

I'm not sure of the dimensions of a 2.5 gallon but in my 5 and 6 I use a 50 watt adjustable Aqueon submersible. Since you can submerse the whole heater you could put it at an angle or horizontally or however it might fit. I know the 50 watt is a bit of overkill in the 5 gallon but my night time temps go down to 67 in the house and this allows me to keep the temp high enough over room temperature. What ever size you decide on, I would think adjustable would always be your best bet.
craftyjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
Surferjo

Im running into the same problem with my Aqueon mini heater. Ive decided im going to pick up a $5 light timer from home depot. they can go on and off every 30 mins so im going to try and figure out what inteval will keep it at around 80 or so.
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #4 
sandrac8388

I would definitely agree and go adjustable^

Look at the aqueons. I have 4 of them and love them all. I even have one in my hospital tank for a baby betta i'm keeping. Keeps it steady all the time.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 
sandrac8388

I don't use the mini. I use the aqueon 50 watt submersible adjustable heater for 5-20 gallon tanks. But it worked well on my 1 gallon! It keeps it stable at 82. Maybe it will drop one degree when i turn off the light. They were pretty expensive but you get what you pay for unfortunately and they come with a lifetime warranty!!
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #6 
Frsher

Aquarium

The tank is 2.5 gallons and I was told to use a 7 to 10 watt heater. The first one is a Marina 10 watt. The second heater is an Aqueon 7 Watt. Both send the tank to high. I have yet to find somewhere that sells an adjustable mini heater. Does anyone know of one?

A 50 Watt? Wouldn't that make the tank way too warm? I have no room (or money) to upgrade again to a bigger tank.

A light timer will screw with the fish's sleep cycle and could make him sick, so I don't know if I want to try that.

I'm stymied.
Frsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Look on amazon. I saw a 25W adjustable. I use the Slim Heater for Betta bowls 7.5W, not adjustable, when I have to use 1g containers & it keeps the temp a steady 78F but I only use it temporarily for a week or so when I have to QT.

Last edited by shellieca; 10-25-2012 at 09:46 PM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frsher View Post
The tank is 2.5 gallons and I was told to use a 7 to 10 watt heater. The first one is a Marina 10 watt. The second heater is an Aqueon 7 Watt. Both send the tank to high. I have yet to find somewhere that sells an adjustable mini heater. Does anyone know of one?

A 50 Watt? Wouldn't that make the tank way too warm? I have no room (or money) to upgrade again to a bigger tank.

A light timer will screw with the fish's sleep cycle and could make him sick, so I don't know if I want to try that.

I'm stymied.
All of my tanks have timers for the light, the lights are on 8-9 hrs a day. Love the timer. Doesn't screw with their sleep cycle or make them sick at all; at least I've never heard that before & I've not seen any adverse effects from it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 
craftyjag

The 50 watt adjustable won't make your tank too hot, they have a thermostat in them that turns off the heater when it reaches the temperature that you set on the dial on the top of the heater. It will go on and off as needed to keep the temp steady. I'm sure the 25 watt would be plenty for that size tank.
craftyjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #10 
Surferjo

How would a light timer turning your heater on and off affect their sleep cycle? your not plugging the light into it, just the heater.
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote