Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #11 
sandrac8388

Crafty is right. The higher watt i believe are more than likely adjustable. It turns on when the water gets too cold and then turns off when it is at the correct temp.

Definitely go with an adjustable heater. Like i said I have my 50 watt for my baby betta in a 1 gallon and she is doing just fine. Her temp stays stable. You don't have to buy a new tank. Go with whats reliable. I'm just a aqueon fan lol. Their products are good.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #12 
rleroy1967

Is your tank by a heat source? You should be fine with the heaters in the 2.5 gallon tank. I have a 10 watt heater in a 2.5 tank that works without a problem. Do you have a bubbler in the water to push the water around. How is the betta doing?
rleroy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #13 
sandrac8388

just for kicks here is my 1 gallon hospital tank for my baby betta Lucy, isn't she cute? XD My poor girl had ammonia poisoning when i rescued her! She is a lot better!

anywho back to you :D I have to put it at an angle because its a little long but no biggie! Trust me you want to go with an adjustable just to avoid further problems and stress on you and your betta.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #14 
craftyjag

Very pretty colors!
craftyjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #15 
birdielikestomatoes

I absolutely adore the Elite Submersible heater and I've never had a problem with it. The 25w would work quite well with a 2.5g, I would believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...I2H4CV3XO7932F Here is the link if you're interested in checking it out.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #16 
sandrac8388

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdielikestomatoes View Post
I absolutely adore the Elite Submersible heater and I've never had a problem with it. The 25w would work quite well with a 2.5g, I would believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...I2H4CV3XO7932F Here is the link if you're interested in checking it out.

I always heard great things about those! Elite was what i wanted to buy but never found them :( Never thought to look on amazon! darn. lol
Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #17 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
How would a light timer turning your heater on and off affect their sleep cycle? your not plugging the light into it, just the heater.
Oops, I saw timer & thought it was for the lights hence my previous post.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #18 
Frsher

Temperature

Hi Everyone

Ok, I need my eyeballs adjusted too. I was thinking maybe you meant having a light on it to keep the temp up instead of a heater. I read some posts where they only used a light to warm the water. I turn the light on for a few hours each night but the room is very well lit with natural light during the day so I don't think I need a timer for it.

So I took your advice and popped for a 25W adjustable heat. it's big and doesn't fit the tank very well but the temp is now staying at a lovely 81 to 82 degrees. The decimal goes up and down but happily it is fairly steady within 1 degree. Having the light on pops it up a bit but nothing to where it was going before.

I have come to the conclusion that the tank I have sucks but I will have to live with that for a while. Whomever designed the tank didn't know their Bettafish. Maybe when I have more room and a bit of spare cash I will pop for a better setup. As it is, it will have to do.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. I now have a reasonably happy fish.

Thanks
Frsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #19 
Wendyjo

Just make sure that the entire heater is in the water, or it could either break (if it's glass) or burn up if it's not. Be sure to read the instructions with it carefully.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #20 
Frsher

thermometer

Yeah that is a problem with the tank. The way the tank is built, I have to have the water almost to the rim for the filter to work. Bettaboy thinks that is wonderful, he gets right the to the rim of the tank, checking it out. Since the water is so high, the thermometer sits outside the top of the tank. This stops me from putting the top back on the tank as the head of the thermometer doesn't fit in the hole they left for cords. Very poorly designed tank.

I am thinking maybe I am gong to take the filter out. It will mean more water changes but I will be able to lower the waterline, put the thermometer further into the tank and put the lid on it. I liked having the filter, Bettaboy there learned to surf the waves and it gave me extra time on water changes...but it is what it is.
Frsher is offline   Reply With Quote