Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #1 
Polishdiva1

Heaters & plants

Is a heater necessary in Florida in a home that stays 75+ all year?

Also, my betta loves a particular fake plant; I put in another and he wouldn't go near it so I just took it out. I was interested in maybe trying live plants but do they actually give any benefit to the fish or water? I'm not familiar with them at all. I have him in an unfiltered bowl.
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 
shellieca

What is your water temp? Typically the water temp is slightly cooler than the room temp so I would guess your water temp is only 73F or so which is on the cool side for a Betta. What size is your tank & is it filtered? Personnally, when I had unfiltered containers real plants didn't do very well, now that have 2 10g's & a 46g with heaters & filters, the plants are doing well. Yes plants are beneficial to helping maintain healthy water. I have a mixture, most realy but a couple fakes but the real ones weren't tall enough yet. How long did you leave the new plant in? My Bettas have favorite plants and/or caves but they explore everything.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 
Polishdiva1

He's in a 1 gallon, non-filtered. I left the new one in for about an hour and he was just staying up against the glass as far away from it as possible.
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #4 
shellieca

1g is small so not much can fit in it, if he's got one he likes I'd leave be. I would suggest if at all possible upgrading him to at least a 5g, heated, filtered tank, you'd be amazed at the difference you'll see in his appearance & activity level.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

The water temp has to be at least 76 for a betta (76-82 ideally), so 75 is still too cold. Live plants help filter out ammonia from the water, so they're definitely beneficial. You still have to do a few water changes a week though. In a 1-gallon you could have some hornwort or fanwort. You can anchor it on the bottom (not in the substrate but tied to a rock or something) or let it float on the top.
A 1-gallon is tough to heat safely especially if your room temp will be 75. I've been freaking out because I have my female betta in a 1 gallon tank, and the heater heats it up to about 85. It was even 90 one morning when I woke up. My fish seemed totally fine, but I'll feel better when I get her a bigger tank that I can heat safely. So my advice would be to get at least a 2.5 gallon tank, so then you can get an adjustable heater which will keep the tank at the temp you set it for, and you can have more plants. If you have just a regular compact fluorescent bulb for lighting, it will be difficult to keep many types of plants alive. Horwort or fanwort will stay alive without bright light, and I also have a rosette sword (I got it in one of those tubes at Petco) that did very well when I had low lighting. I like live plants. I think they look nice and they are beneficial to helping keep your water clean.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

75 degrees is on the cold side, a better temp would be 78-80*

Water tends to be a few degrees cooler than the air as well, and anything under 75 is a total no no.

I suggest getting a heater and keeping the tank at around 80*, an adjustable heater with a thermostat will keep the temp steady so that your betta wont have to deal with temperature flucuations.

A 1 gallon tank is very small and needs every other day water changes. So youre better off with something 2.5 gallons or larger. A 1 gallon is not safe to heat.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree in a small tank temp changes too much and 80F is better plus it can get colder at night.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 
jsgossamer

My bettas seem to be fascinated with moss balls and they don't take up much room so they would be great for a 1 gallon. Petsmart carries them. Agree the temp should be a bit higher. Get yourself a mini heater and thermometer if possible. you probably wont need it all year round.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote