Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 
DragonTheBetta

Help with stress coat!!

Here is the story:
So my cat tipped over my 1 gal tank onto the floor and Dragon got really hurt. One side of his face is all messed up. One eye is cloudy and there is skin hanging on on his bad side of his face. To add his top(dont know what it is called) fin is almost all missing, his tail is shredded, and he isnt swimming to much. Its been 24 hours since he was tipped and I want to give him something to keep him from dying. Since his tank cracked, I bought him a 2.5 gal tank.

So now for stress coat problem. I already added my water conditioner but I want to buy and add stress coat. Can I add stress coat to the water that I have or do I have to make a new batch?
DragonTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #2 
DragonFyre14

I think you can just add it to your water. (At least that's what I'd do.) I think just make sure he's getting food, and if he's having trouble swimming make sure to take out, or turn down the filter so the water doesn't get disrupted as much. Also if he's having trouble getting to the surface for air, lower the water level some.
As a side note, you can always add some aquarium salt.that stuff can work wonders. It will help keep his injuries from becoming infected.

I'm sorry about your betta. I sincerely hope he gets better soon. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
DragonTheBetta

Okay, thanks! He is in his cave now and there is a big air bubble in it so he can get air. I had him in a bowl but I didnt know if that was a better idea than to put him in his now tank so I put him in. He isnt eating too much but I try to get him to eat when he has the energy to surface. The filter isnt running at all. Aquarium salt. I might try that too. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 
DragonFyre14

Your welcome! Keep me updated Kay?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #5 
DragonTheBetta

Sure. Gosh I feel so bad for him.
Another question if you dont mind. How often do I need to change a 2.5 gallon tank? Do I need to change it a lot with the stress coat in it? Ive only ever had a 1 gal tank.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #6 
DragonFyre14

The stress coat shouldn't affect how often you need to change the water. It works a lot like dechlorinaters. Some say 2.5 gallons need a minimum of 1 50% a week but I prefer to do two or three smaller changes (about 25%). The bigger the tank the less often water changes need to be done :)

However, with him being hurt, I would recommend daily water changes of at least 25%.