Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #1 
AquaKai

Baby Betta Journey

So, I got a baby betta yesterday. I know, I know not smart, but they were going to "get rid" of 'him' if someone didn't buy him that day, and it was around 3:30-4 on a Sunday, so doing the sensible thing I bought 'him'. Okay, perhaps not the most sensible, but whatever. I've been looking around for information on baby bettas and I still haven't had a good journey kind of thread to read, which I've really wanted to, so I'm making my own:)

So here is what I have 'him' in:
2.5g
heater at 82F
no filter-yet
a few live plants-need more
water

This is what I've gathered about baby bettas, correct me if I'm wrong:
Tank Size: 2.5-3 is good for beginning, it is easier to do PWCs on.
Temperature: 80-85F is good for growth and the creation of a good immune system
Water: Keep it clean, do frequent PWCs, but not too much at a time it stresses them out.
Food: Live and frozen are always better, small bites are good once they get around 1" or so long, but live or frozen is healthier and should be given over pellets.

Um, I think that's about it. Their also harder to keep and extremely small!

Anything else to add?

Here are some pictures; I'll add as the days go by and I learn new things!
Tank:

Richard:

I also want to say that I think my betta is a boy because it was flaring at it's reflection, but I'm not sure about that! Thanks!
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well, time will tell whether the gender is male or female. Looks to be between 3 and 5 months, but who knows anymore with store fish??

Anyways, good job on the fishy. Looks like you have everything handled. I would recommend buying -or having on hand- aquarium salt and epsom salt as a just in case. And you are right, they are harder to care for!! But well worth it in the end.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I know I had something like this with my baby, she's a grown little female now. I wish you all the luck with your baby, so far it looks like you did a lot of the stuff I did only I started her in a smaller hospital tank with no gravel and only plants so she could get a daily water change and medication as needed.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #4 
AquaKai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Well, time will tell whether the gender is male or female. Looks to be between 3 and 5 months, but who knows anymore with store fish??

Anyways, good job on the fishy. Looks like you have everything handled. I would recommend buying -or having on hand- aquarium salt and epsom salt as a just in case. And you are right, they are harder to care for!! But well worth it in the end.
Yeah, 'he' looks a little older but I'm still not sure, I'm just waiting until some fins grow in or they don't. That's how I'm currently going to go. I will make sure to get some Epsom salt, I don't think that I have any right now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I know I had something like this with my baby, she's a grown little female now. I wish you all the luck with your baby, so far it looks like you did a lot of the stuff I did only I started her in a smaller hospital tank with no gravel and only plants so she could get a daily water change and medication as needed.
I guess that I didn't see that! Hm, I'll go look for that thread. I'm glad to be doing this correctly. I would be extremely sad if 'he' dies. I'm glad to see that your baby betta survived, I've read too many things where the betta ends up dying. I'm hoping not to have that happen because its hard to read those journals that just stop because of a death. I'll make sure to keep up on water changes, thank you for your input:)
Old 10-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #5 
AquaKai

Day 3:
So within the past 24 hours I have found out that the little dude loves blood worms and brine shrimp. He seems to love the frozen stuff and tears it apart quickly! He likes the plants that I put in there, but I still think that some work needs to be done.

Just an update on everything today:
Fish size: 1" fro head to end of tail, around 3/4" body size.
Food fed: Frozen Brine Shrimp and Frozen Blood Worms
Temp: 82F
He's been very active, swimming around the tank and having a fun time swimming around the rocks!

Pictures from today:

Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Cute! And great pictures I must say. My fish rarely stay still hehe
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 
AquaKai

Thanks! I finally got out the big camera and actually took pictures of 'him'. I think that it's much easier with him with the big camera, plus you can actually see 'him' with the use of the big camera! I was shocked that I could actually get pictures of 'him', he usually is swimming around, barely staying still for a second. However with treating him with a part of a blood worm whenever 'he' was still for a minute for a picture may have worked... or not, who knows:)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #8 
angelus2402004

looks female to me
angelus2402004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

It could be, but you would be surprised xD Sometimes they decide to confuse you :p I will say looks like my female baby betta (5 months old, May 10 spawn)
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #10 
AquaKai

Wow my little betta looks a lot like your little girl! I don't want to decide what it is yet, because I know once I name it it'll stick and if I pick a masculine name when it's a girl I'll feel bad. Thanks though for the help, it really does look like a girl, but I'll wait:)

Tags
baby, baby betta, betta, journey, new tank