Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know they can live ten years but people keep them at lower temps than that and they live a year teeney had a point the water can reach 90F Carter is also the most active and healthy Betta I ever met the temp decreasing lifespan is aa myth unless you keep the water extremly warm like 90F Carter also shows potental to live a while and most bettas rarely live two because of improper care byt carter gets great care 80F helps immune system too its like this in a reasonble temp good diet and people can live a long life.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #22 
LebronTheBetta

Having the temperature REALLY warm DOES decrease the lifespan. The heat increases the metabolism which makes him more hungry and grows faster. It's not a myth, it's a fact. Even Olympia said so. I don't think they can live up to 10 years... That Betta must've lived in 73F or something. :/
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #23 
teeneythebetta

Well probably not 73F
I had a betta that lived in 73 and just layed around clamped the whole year it lived
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #24 
LebronTheBetta

Since this was in that past, (I know you're experienced now) but when did you change the water? This theory is based on proper water conditions except the temperature. It doesn't matter the tank size or filtered, just the temperature.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #25 
teeneythebetta

The water wasn't well kept.

So basically you shouldn't treat tropical fish as though they're tropical?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

That's not the point.. /:
I'm saying that IME 76-78 is the best temperature for them. You don't have to go up to 82F just to keep them happy. They're fine at 76F or 78F so why go any further? If you raise the temperature to 80+ then you're making them grow faster. I'm not saying you keep the temperature 80+ that's just an example.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I said unless really hot 80F is not eally hot Bettas are adapted to higher Temp than other tropical fish thats like saying a guppy would live longer in antartica 80F is perceftly healthy I am unable to lower the Temp 80F is also best for breeding your twisting my words.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #28 
LizzyP

Lebron, how can you say "IME"? You clearly stated you've only had your fish 7 months, so how do you know higher temperatures shorten their lifespan? Because someone told you? Yes, Olympia does know many things, but just because you hear one thing from one person doesn't mean it's true. If someone told you fish also did the backstroke and sang Happy Birthday, would you believe them without doing any further research?

I keep my fish at about 80-82. Never any higher. They come from Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, and parts of China. All of these areas can hit 90 degree weather on any given day raising water temperatures in the high 80s. Yes higher temperatures may increase their metabolism, but that's why we feed them the proper amounts. If you notice your fish is getting too thin, you feed them more, correct?

As long as your fish is being kept in the 76-82 degree range he/she will be fine. :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good points.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

Well i never wrote that because simply it not what i even will recommend to anyone. I have a few bettas in the Dr office that i am working once a week so basically i can't control anything. All i do- change 100% every week. And the doctor who is fish lover feed them. But in the winter when office close for 2 days a week the temperature is below 70* I think he keep it 68-69*. I even cried at first, because i thought they will get sick. But surprisingly one of the fish about 4 years old , other i bought about 1.8 year ago. So i can't even explain it . And what else is interesting that the 4 years old fish jumped out of his tank one time. He had a lot of white , fuzzy stuff on his body. It was probably his slime coat but healed pretty fast. He still alive.

My fish at home live in about 74* in the winter.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote