Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1 
checkerzelda

[Log #3] Red Dragon HMPK x Red Dragon HM (July 2012)

Hi all, so after my previous CT spawn (which brought me a lot of joy and valuable learning experience), I've been experimenting with Red Dragons HMs since July 2012. They're one of the strains I'm completely mesmerized by, and I remember it was like dream come true when I obtained my first pair. I bought them from a renowned local breeder online for a ok price in February. Sadly though, the male passed on only about 3 months after I had him from some tumorous growth on his side despite all my TLC. This was him at his prime:
Picture. He was a bit of a rosetail.

I never did manage to find a replacement HM male for his sibling. They're quite rare here. However I managed to secure a full mask Red Dragon HMPK import for approx USD17 during a pet fair. I didn't really know what to expect from a cross between HM and HMPK..I heard there is a chance that HMs could appear so I just went for it. Plus, considering the HM female's sibling was a rosetail, thought that having HMPK genes would somewhat balance it out.

First try
So I spawned them on 9 July 2012. Everything went smoothly, too good to be true...there's gotta be over 200 eggs..until the next morning when I found them all gone. Dad ate all the eggs...along with my heart, lol. After scouring the tank, I found only 10 eggs left. Took out the dad, left the eggs there and 3.5 months later, today, I have 9 adult babies with me (one jumped out from his container a few weeks ago) :/. One grew up to be a breathtaking Red Dragon HM I wouldn't even dream of owning. This is him today:

Second try
As for the egg-eater dad, I tested him again the week after with one of my Marble Cambodian CT female from my previous spawn. I half expected him to eat the eggs, but he didn't, surprisingly. This batch resulted in slightly fewer than 100 babies. Didn't expect much from a clean Cambodian cross. However, now they're almost all grown up, some are pretty impressive in their own ways. I might cover this on my next thread if I have time. ;D

Third try
About a month later (24 August) once my Red Dragon HM female is all healed up, I bred her again with the same male. He didn't eat the eggs this time, and there was probably more eggs compared to the first try. The babies are 2 months old now and thriving. This batch of babies will be the focus of this thread. :)

I have taken some photos of the parents spawning. Now organizing the photos before I upload them. ;)
checkerzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Beautiful boy you got there! I'm looking forward to the rest of your pics. Congrats.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Congrats. . . hope they all survive.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #4 
checkerzelda

Thanks, Romad and Indjo.

Here are the parents! Sorry for the picspam. It's tough to decide which pic to keep, haha. x3

Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #5 
checkerzelda

17 Sep 2012 (3.5 weeks old)

31 Oct 2012 (2 months old)

I have recently started jarring them. Some of the nipping and attacking are getting out of hand. >_<
Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #6 
Fabian

They look so cute together!!
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

WAO! Congratulations! Seems you have a LOT of fish out of this spawn and they are looking great!
You've done a wonderful job!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #8 
rubinthebetta

*stares at pictures, speechless from amazement* Amazing! Yes, that is all I can say.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #9 
Legendary

Keep them pics coming! amazing congrats
Legendary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #10 
BettaFx

amazing even growth!
BettaFx is offline   Reply With Quote