Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 
sandrac8388

Water conditioner

How long to you guys let the conditioner sit in the water before adding it into the tank. Assuming you acclimate the temp to current tank temp. Just curious to everyone's opinions.

Also when you use the gravel vaccum, how do you keep from disrupting the decor and plants? I find that super hard.
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 
Sivan

A few seconds and I am fine, for water conditioner. As for the vacuum, I disturb the heck of of everything. I have nothing live except my fish and no elaborate displays, so I shift all the gravel around and do a thorough cleaning.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #3 
sainthogan

I usually let my water sit for 24 hours, just because the water temperature that comes out of my tap fluctuates wildly. It will be freezing cold one second, then scorching hot the next and the slightest adjustment can actually make it worse. Letting it sit that long allows me to have it a stable temp before I put it in the tank.
As far as vacuuming, I don't have on yet, I use a turkey baster. It's kind of hard to use in a 5 gallon tank, but I have a minbow, so it's kind of narrow and a regular size vacuum is way too huge for my tank. I am going to get a small one, but I have to save up the money for it. (I'm a teacher who got laid off due to budge cuts and am working very sporadically and every little bit of money goes to food for my family)
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

Given it is at proper temperature, I just use it immediately. :)

As for siphoning, I used to just remove my decor/plants. But I've heard of people getting suction cups and attaching their plants/decor to them using aquarium silicone, and attaching the suction cup to the bottom of the tank. I thought that was a clever idea. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

immediately as Teeny said
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 
sandrac8388

Awesome. I didn't like letting it sit for a long time cause then the temp begins to drop. Y'all are awesome!!! Thank you!
sandrac8388 is offline   Reply With Quote