Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #11 
caljamsam

I think I'll stick with one betta for now (the 1 I got.) He seems very happy in there. In fact since his "playmate" died he seems just laying on the fringe on the tank heater. Just being lazy. he looks very happy and content in there.

I thought they enjoy each other's company but they do not. So perhaps I'll just stick with him for now?
caljamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #12 
Thebettaqueen

Next time darling, try using a paper plate (With nice holes of course, if it's a bowl. That's what I'm using on Bluelip's temperary tank.) I taped it down so that if something startles him, he'll remain in his bowl. I'm so sorry ;w;
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #13 
caljamsam

I don't know about paper plate. I don't have one. I doubt little Blooie is going to jump out of the tank. He looks so happy in there now. He's just fraisaying on the heat without a worry in the world. Him and little Red were always attacking each other through the glass. I think that's why little Red finally jumped out. Could be a betta suicide for all I know. SoI'll just stick with one for now. besides, he's got me to keep him plenty of company /sigh/
Old 10-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #14 
Myates

Sorry about your loss :( I have a couple that want to jump all the time.. both females.

If you rather not use a lid you could tape seran wrap (with holes) over the top (taped to secure it). It's also great for their labyrinth organs.

Or at least lower the level of the water so there is 3+ inches from the top...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #15 
caljamsam

Thanks for your help. As long as I've only got one betta now I've put the thin glass lid over the tank to keep the single betta in. Do you think he'll be ok just living alone in there or does he need a new grousemate?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #16 
LadyVictorian

Betta's are solitary fish, they are more than happy to be alone. Also jumping has nothing to do with being happy or not. Betta's jump because it's instinct just like dogs bark so a lid is always a good idea because happy or sad betta's jump.

Also how big is your tank?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #17 
Thebettaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Betta's are solitary fish, they are more than happy to be alone. Also jumping has nothing to do with being happy or not. Betta's jump because it's instinct just like dogs bark so a lid is always a good idea because happy or sad betta's jump.

I think it depends on the tank size for tank mates, my Splash loves his tank mates and his little betta 'girlfriend' rarity. They never fight o3o and he can't make bubbles because of the constand moving water from the filter ( So no babies~)

I wouldn't recomend any tank mates if your tank is less than a 5 gallon. It woud just cause stress.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #18 
caljamsam

Stress is what drove poor little Red to betta suicide.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #19 
caljamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post

Kinda small. The smallest humane size.

So little Blooie's just splashing around in there and as noted does not miss his tankmate one bit. I'm happy, I want to keep him happy. I want to keep a happy fish.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #20 
rubinthebetta

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caljamsam View Post
Stress is what drove poor little Red to betta suicide.
Sorry, but I dont get that at all.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote