Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #1 
afishpond

eggs not hatching

hi all I just a spawn and all looked great with but none of the eggs are hatching out.Any help with this would be great last 2 spawns one of them did the same thing so i was wondering if maybe the male would do all he was to do in a spawn but furtilization of the eggs .Cause water is right temp. may be a little low .
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. How long since laid? Male should eat unfertilized eggs.
2. Have you successfully spawned them in the past? Either male or female might be infertile. I suggest you use different pair (I once had an infertile male and his eggs never hatched regardless what I do).
3. How were they conditioned? Sometimes health influences fertility.

A little low/high temp, pH, and other water prams are acceptable as long as they're stable. It's constant fluctuation that they can't tolerate.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #3 
afishpond

he did eat some and then stop has been 3 day's so had like 100 egg's water temp. may have been it only 72 but they acked great i had almond leaf in water and add green water soon as i pulled female.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

72 is tooooo low to even keep betta's in. They need at least 78 degrees so that is one problem. Also you were suppose to remove the female after the eggs were laid. She hasn't been removed yet? You need to remove her immediately.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #5 
afishpond

she was taken out at the end of the spawn . as far as 78 on bettas i keep all my bettas at room temp. so 78 would be a little hot I think and seeing how i have about 30 fry's from my frist spawn at room temp. Realy don't it being that big of a deal egg's just hatch slower .both males from last 2 spawn was frist time to spawn and did a lot more fighting than my frist spawn . willtry again with temp. up see what happens.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

72 is too cold for betta's in general, they are tropical fish and I am shocked you didn't lose more babies and have serious deformities from your other spawns. Sold water can cause spawn to deform during growth. Also fish fighting isn't caused by warmer water it's caused by improper conditioning.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #7 
afishpond

would you care to tell me how long you been raiseing bettas ?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Look, Bettas in the wild live in Southeast Asia. IT'S ALWAYS WARM AND TROPICAL THERE. Bettas are tropical fish period. Why come here for advice when you won't accept it? My dad introduced me to fish since I was 5 so please... Just take our advice. :o
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #9 
BettaFx

lady up there is right. 72 is pretty low. To be honest here in canada it gets cold but it try my best to aim for 75 lowest. having that said I honestly do not think temperature was the reason it did not hatch. Possibly the female was infertile or male didn't have enough sperm. Either way male should eat unfertilized eggs.

-try again. you should expect them to hatch 24-30 hours after spawning. try to keep the temperature 75 lowest for spawns. not worth wasting your own time and breeding the pair.
-I've been breeding for quiet some time and experiment enough times to know this. Give it some time...maybe they'll hatch later just dont checkup on your spawn too much.

-again even if your adults or fry dont die at low temperatures....they wont grow up to be too healthy and bacteria can thrive and kill your fish eventually.
BettaFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #10 
afishpond

68 to 80 is temp range for all tropical fish only had tropical fish for 40 year's on and off . The hotter you keep your fish the faster they grown and the more thing's they can get and the time they will live is cut down by this to. ph was 7.6 was feed was live food for 2 weeks befor breeding male was in tank for 5 day's befor females added . she was place in a jar in tank with him for 3 day's . Water maybe to hard for them .