Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #31 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's logical and expected since lower temps reduces metabolism. Raise temp a bit and they should eat more - but you'd also need more water changes because they would excrete more wastes.

Keep us posted, as we can all learn from your experience on temp vs growth.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #32 
FishyWorldy

Help me too!!!! Saw your post today about your reply to to AFISHPOND last 10/27/2012---I don't know what happened this morning. It's the third day when the betta eggs were kept by the male after spawning and I was surprise when there are no longer eggs and he destroyed the nest!!!! I think he really ate it because yesterday, he had a full stomach. Could it be that the eggs were not fertilize much? I have notice that when I was breeding them with the female, he had problem at first squeezing her belly since he was only a little bit larger than the female.

Also I did not introduce them long and simply put them in the breeding tank as the male's not making any bubbles and the female's not showing the vertical bars in her body though her belly's big already. ( I was surprise that they spawned after 2-3 days that I put them together and the male just build many bubbles already) Could this also be the problem. ?

---My last successful spawning was four years ago and this is the first time that I'm back since I was away for college in a very long time....

Last edited by FishyWorldy; 12-30-2012 at 07:13 PM.
FishyWorldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #33 
Myates

I would make a new thread, otherwise people will read all 4 pages just to get to yours and it would be simpler on others to just go to your question :)

The eggs may of not been fertile or something wasn't right for them/him such as not warm enough water or he wasn't conditioned enough, etc. They don't squeeze so much as line up just right to fertilize the eggs.

The lack of introduction wouldn't be the problem - but would be careful, as big bellies don't usually mean eggs (as indjo says), but a full belly. Can be risky setting her free when neither may be ready. But I can't imagine that being a factor in why the eggs were destroyed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #34 
afishpond

update on spawn still grown them out in the cold water and they are growning at a slow rate 8 weeks old maybe 9 only 1/2 to 3/4 but the color in them is brighter than would be and I haven't lost the frist one yet jarred 4 of them but they are still in cold water look great and It seams they don't over eat like fry's in warmer water .
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #35 
Myates

They are growing slow due to the cold water.. they may be alive, but you are creating fish with low immune systems who can/will become sickly as they age.

The cold water is causing them to have slower metabolism along with lowered immune system... unsure why you are breeding them in cold water... I'm sorry, but honestly I just don't understand.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #36 
afishpond

lowered immune system???? how did you come to that ? so your saying they will not live long and that it will be easy for them to get sick.they are at room temp. ,I can't wait to see if this is right or not I think not but time will tell .
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #37 
Myates

"The susceptibility of fish to disease is partly dependent
on their environment, in particular on water temperature.
It is generally accepted that lower temperatures adversely
affect specific immune responses mediated by T helper
cells. The probable mechanisms involved in such
suppression in teleost fish are reviewed. Furthermore, the
effects of temperature on nonspecific defences, such as
phagocytosis and cytotoxicity, are described and total
immune competence in teleosts at low environmental
temperatures is discussed"

Here is ONE article.. it's one of many. There are others here who can tell you more in detail, such as indjo or Oldfishlady.

Keep in mind room temp isn't what the temp of the water is.. your room may be set at 80, but the temp in the water is in the mid 70s, etc.

And that is exactly what I am saying.. genes and the environment they are being raised in plays a big role in how healthy a betta is during it's life span.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #38 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@afishpond : IME low temps do cause low immune system. I have to be more careful during the rain season compared to hot season. But other factors "help" kill them - low temps makes wastes more toxic (sorry can't explain scientifically).

@fishyworldly: I agree with Myates - The most probable reason for male eating eggs after the 3rd day is that they weren't fertilized or he might have felt too disturbed. Usually egg eaters (psychotic) will eat the eggs on the first day and finish them off the following day.

Introduction method has nothing to do with fertility. What is important is the embrace position. I NEVER wait for bubble nest nor do I wait for breeding bars. A lot of my males never make bubble nests. I just set up my breeding tank and plop both in at the same time (I know my bettas are mostly ready to spawn). I do watch them the first 10 minutes to make sure they are in breeding mode. Then cover the tank until the following day.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote