Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #1 
Blacklight

After ick infestation, is it safe to use stuff in another tank?

I had an ick infestation in one tank. I've since packed up that tank and it's equipment on Sunday. I washed everything in scalding hot water and dried everything. Is it safe to use stuff like the little breeder tank and the heater from the ick infested tank in another tank?

Ick don't form cysts out of water and then come back to life again in water do they?

I need to use some of this stuff for my other tank.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-30-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I had an ick infestation in one tank. I've since packed up that tank and it's equipment on Sunday. I washed everything in scalding hot water and dried everything. Is it safe to use stuff like the little breeder tank and the heater from the ick infested tank in another tank?

Ick don't form cysts out of water and then come back to life again in water do they?

I need to use some of this stuff for my other tank.

I would use watered down bleach without detergent to clean everything again and rinse rinse rinse if you wanna be on the super safe side.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #3 
Blacklight

I don't really trust myself with bleach. If even a tiny amount of that gets into the tank, it's going to kill my fish. Is there a safer alternative? The scalding hot water and drying isn't going to do it?

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-30-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 
DiiQue

Everything I was told and read about ICK is that they die on their own (once they reach the free swimming stage of their lifecycle) after a couple of days (4 or more) without a living host to eat off of. I have a tank that had an ICK infestation and I just inundated my tank with aquarium salt and let the filter run for one week and then used scalding hot water to rinse everything out and I haven't seen a single one reappear.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
Blacklight

So even through I washed this stuff in scalding hot water and dried them, I should probably put these things in a tank with a heater and salt for a few days?
Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

hot water should be just fine. but if it makes you feel better you can run salt through the sustem for a week if you leave it outside, good old sunlight does miracles.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #7 
Blacklight

I'm just looking to use the heater, breeder tank, and digital thermometer from the infected tank as they're far superior to the ones that are in the clean tank now.

My wife burned herself with the water cleaning them.

I'm mostly concerned about the heater because that was the object that our infected fish LOVED to rub himself on constantly and then there's the breeder tank that I like to put fish in during water changes. The last fish to go in it was ick fish.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-30-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
DiiQue

My only concern when I cleaned the heater was I don't know if the glass/container would break after a certain temperature point... mine didn't but am not sure if this holds true for every brand. Just don't leave it in there for a long period. It's safe to say that if there was a chance for any ICK to still be on there, they would have died a quick death in the scalding water...
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 
Blacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
My only concern when I cleaned the heater was I don't know if the glass/container would break after a certain temperature point... mine didn't but am not sure if this holds true for every brand. Just don't leave it in there for a long period. It's safe to say that if there was a chance for any ICK to still be on there, they would have died a quick death in the scalding water...
Or so I hope. I'm going to let the stuff sit dry for at least a week before I put it in.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #10 
Wendyjo

I use bleach to disinfect everything. It's not a danger if you just rinse well using water with alot of dechlor in it.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote