Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Want to rescue this betta right.

I'm sorry I gave in to the temptation of saving a betta-- I have a new 2,5 gallon tank for him being ready as we speak as well as an extra heater.

I had them give him to me for free due to his state. Here you can see how they have the betta's with transparent dividers so they are forced to flare 24/7. However I guess their water is always clean... ish. Still, after a week or so they start to become weak

This here is Aquilies before he was bagged to be taken home:

I will not put any gravel or anything as I will need to keep an eye on him for the next few weeks.

According to the store, he arrived yesterday in said conditions, which could mean that while being shipped he was tail biting? Or is he suffering fin rot?

Been thinking Aq salt and perhaps medication against rot. Opinions? Temp will be stable at 75 most likely.

Also been wondering how to help him heal his fins apart from clean water.

P.S: what is he? He looks like a halfmoon to me, but the store owner said he was a crowntail... not sure XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 
Thebettaqueen

I'm not sure if that's tail bitting...Do you think it could be fin rot? Because my poor Scout has Tail biting and it's not as bad as this guy's poor tail.
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

He looks to be in good condition - not clamped, not skinny, good color - so I am thinking his just badly bit his tail like they said.

You can use AQ salt if you want but all he really would need for now is clean, warm water with some stress coat or krodon's fish protector. Keep an eye on him to make sure fin rot does not develop though. Do you have a heater for him? I think that would be one of the best things to help him.

I think that's a halfmoon, not a crowntail.

Some of my guys are tail bitters and yes thy can do that much damage to themselves. It's also possible that he got into a fight with another male at some point. Do you see any black along the edges? Keep n mind some bettas naturally have a black outline as normal coloring. If so then yeah, he may have fin rot but I think that is tail bitting.

Tail Bitting

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-28-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 
xShainax

He is a HM. What a beautiful boy
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #5 
sareena79

hes gonna be gorgeous! I just started a product called Vita-chem (its by a company called Boyd) thats supposed to be really good for fins/scales. make sure u get the freshwater variety not the marine. if u cant find it in stores then check amazon and ebay as well as fosters and smith's website. just keep him clean, warm and well fed and he should look better in no time. I cant wait to see how he heals up!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #6 
asukabetta

I have seen vita chem in the store, I will try to get my hands on one as soon as I can, so far I'm adjusting him to the tank, with some medication against rot, because I think he has some (under a light I can see grey forming on the tips)

So far he's behaving and no doing bitting business :D

Will get stress coat if I can find some as well.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #7 
xShainax

They are sneaky little things. My rescue bit his tail slightly
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #8 
megaredize

it looks like really bad biting, i wouldnt medicate but you can always do the salt to make sure he doesnt get an infection because of how bad it is, but you can also avoid the salt with keeping his water super clean. Stress coat is known to be good for promoting growth. other than that he looks like he will be really beautiful once he grows his fins back
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 
sareena79

the vitachem is a vitamin supplement rather than a medication. reading the reviews it sounds like good stuff for alot of different things including fin reneneration. Im only on day 2 so I cant give any input at this point but I have a thread open in regards to it so I will update that one as well as this one once I see changes
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

other than his fins, he seems like a pretty ealthy and energetic guy :) enjoy the new fish!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote