Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #1 
KansaiBlonde
New Member
 
KansaiBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toyota, Japan
Breeding Stripes

I recently bought two female bettas... or what I thought were two females. I began to condition them and put the smaller of the two in with my male - he seemed to love her,and even did a butt-wiggle! Unfortunately while I was elsewhere in the house she jumped out of her jar and when I saw my male next, he was in tatters (still alive) but badly in need of some medication and time alone.

My question is: would you think this is usual female betta behaviour? She/he is small, develops vertical breeding stripes while near the male, has an ovipositor, and has short fins. Do male bettas ever get breeding stripes? It's quite possible that she could be a male plakat, but if I'm going to return her/him to the store I want to know for sure that I just don't have a super aggressive female.
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 
Setsuna
Member
 
Setsuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiBlonde View Post
I recently bought two female bettas... or what I thought were two females. I began to condition them and put the smaller of the two in with my male - he seemed to love her,and even did a butt-wiggle! Unfortunately while I was elsewhere in the house she jumped out of her jar and when I saw my male next, he was in tatters (still alive) but badly in need of some medication and time alone.

My question is: would you think this is usual female betta behaviour? She/he is small, develops vertical breeding stripes while near the male, has an ovipositor, and has short fins. Do male bettas ever get breeding stripes? It's quite possible that she could be a male plakat, but if I'm going to return her/him to the store I want to know for sure that I just don't have a super aggressive female.
as far as i know through my breeding experiences only females have breeding bars but you can tell a male from a female easy cause females have a white dot in between thier ventral fin and their ventral fins are much shorter then a males
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Could they be stress stripes?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Yes females like males can be aggressive and can beat the snot out of a male. If I let my girl in with my boy she would rip him apart because she's super aggressive and he is more docile out of the two.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 
lvandert
Member
 
lvandert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rapid City Sd
Very young males have been known to have them from time to time, along with an "egg spot". Generally males will have a beard and long ventral fins while the majority of females have short ventral fins and little to no beard.

Where are you buying your fish, if I may ask?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #6 
KansaiBlonde
New Member
 
KansaiBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toyota, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
as far as i know through my breeding experiences only females have breeding bars but you can tell a male from a female easy cause females have a white dot in between thier ventral fin and their ventral fins are much shorter then a males
That's what I thought too but I already have one male (very sure about this) and he has the white dot on his belly.

I've just never had a female who ripped apart a male before. I know I should have been watching more attentively but it couldn't have been too long before she jumped out and I noticed and his fins are falling off because of the damage. :/
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #7 
KansaiBlonde
New Member
 
KansaiBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toyota, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Very young males have been known to have them from time to time, along with an "egg spot". Generally males will have a beard and long ventral fins while the majority of females have short ventral fins and little to no beard.

Where are you buying your fish, if I may ask?
These ones I bought at Petsmart simply because the best Aquarium store near me (Big Al's) was out of females. I know Petsmart doesn't have the best reputation in sexing fish, but I can't seem to find any breeders where I live so they were my only shot at getting females. :(
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 
lvandert
Member
 
lvandert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rapid City Sd
oh yeah, they are horrible at sexing bettas lol. Do you have a picture of the fish in question?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 
KansaiBlonde
New Member
 
KansaiBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toyota, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Could they be stress stripes?
Nope, definitely vertical stripes. I actually watched her stripes change from horizontal to vertical as she got used to the water in his tank so I'm pretty sure about this.
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #10 
KansaiBlonde
New Member
 
KansaiBlonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Toyota, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
oh yeah, they are horrible at sexing bettas lol. Do you have a picture of the fish in question?
I don't have one now but I will as soon as I locate my camera. I'll post a picture of the other 'female' I bought too, help with them would be much appreciated!
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breeding stripes a123andpoof Betta Chat 6 08-28-2012 02:34 PM
Breeding stripes xShainax Betta Chat 3 07-24-2012 12:26 PM
breeding female stripes ?? londongirl Breeding Betta Fish 9 09-01-2011 12:29 PM
Breeding stripes... Tragedy Betta Fish Care 8 02-12-2010 10:55 PM
Breeding stripes. dramaqueen Breeding Betta Fish 14 10-06-2009 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.