Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #1 
KansaiBlonde

Breeding Stripes

I recently bought two female bettas... or what I thought were two females. I began to condition them and put the smaller of the two in with my male - he seemed to love her,and even did a butt-wiggle! Unfortunately while I was elsewhere in the house she jumped out of her jar and when I saw my male next, he was in tatters (still alive) but badly in need of some medication and time alone.

My question is: would you think this is usual female betta behaviour? She/he is small, develops vertical breeding stripes while near the male, has an ovipositor, and has short fins. Do male bettas ever get breeding stripes? It's quite possible that she could be a male plakat, but if I'm going to return her/him to the store I want to know for sure that I just don't have a super aggressive female.
KansaiBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #2 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansaiBlonde View Post
I recently bought two female bettas... or what I thought were two females. I began to condition them and put the smaller of the two in with my male - he seemed to love her,and even did a butt-wiggle! Unfortunately while I was elsewhere in the house she jumped out of her jar and when I saw my male next, he was in tatters (still alive) but badly in need of some medication and time alone.

My question is: would you think this is usual female betta behaviour? She/he is small, develops vertical breeding stripes while near the male, has an ovipositor, and has short fins. Do male bettas ever get breeding stripes? It's quite possible that she could be a male plakat, but if I'm going to return her/him to the store I want to know for sure that I just don't have a super aggressive female.
as far as i know through my breeding experiences only females have breeding bars but you can tell a male from a female easy cause females have a white dot in between thier ventral fin and their ventral fins are much shorter then a males
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Could they be stress stripes?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Yes females like males can be aggressive and can beat the snot out of a male. If I let my girl in with my boy she would rip him apart because she's super aggressive and he is more docile out of the two.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 
lvandert

Very young males have been known to have them from time to time, along with an "egg spot". Generally males will have a beard and long ventral fins while the majority of females have short ventral fins and little to no beard.

Where are you buying your fish, if I may ask?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #6 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
as far as i know through my breeding experiences only females have breeding bars but you can tell a male from a female easy cause females have a white dot in between thier ventral fin and their ventral fins are much shorter then a males
That's what I thought too but I already have one male (very sure about this) and he has the white dot on his belly.

I've just never had a female who ripped apart a male before. I know I should have been watching more attentively but it couldn't have been too long before she jumped out and I noticed and his fins are falling off because of the damage. :/
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #7 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Very young males have been known to have them from time to time, along with an "egg spot". Generally males will have a beard and long ventral fins while the majority of females have short ventral fins and little to no beard.

Where are you buying your fish, if I may ask?
These ones I bought at Petsmart simply because the best Aquarium store near me (Big Al's) was out of females. I know Petsmart doesn't have the best reputation in sexing fish, but I can't seem to find any breeders where I live so they were my only shot at getting females. :(
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #8 
lvandert

oh yeah, they are horrible at sexing bettas lol. Do you have a picture of the fish in question?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #9 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Could they be stress stripes?
Nope, definitely vertical stripes. I actually watched her stripes change from horizontal to vertical as she got used to the water in his tank so I'm pretty sure about this.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #10 
KansaiBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
oh yeah, they are horrible at sexing bettas lol. Do you have a picture of the fish in question?
I don't have one now but I will as soon as I locate my camera. I'll post a picture of the other 'female' I bought too, help with them would be much appreciated!