Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 
eemmais

Tank Cycling

So I want to get a 10 gallon tank with 3 ottos and one male betta. I have "Stability" to cycle without fish. So, if I set up the tank with (live) plants, conditioned water, filter, heater, and add in the water cycler, should it be safe in a week? Tell me if there is anything I should change!!
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 
Wendyjo

I have never used that product - I have heard that it's a waste of money tho as it contains the wrong species of bacteria.

In any event if you use an additive you are meant to add the fish right away - the bacteria need a source of food and will starve if there is no source of ammonia in the tank.

Your best bet is to get some media from an already cycled tank - do you have another cycled tank or have a friend with a tank?
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #3 
eemmais

Right now I have a 2 gallon betta tank that I have been cycling for a few days using the "Stability" stuff. So, would it work if I took the gravel from the 2 gallon and used it in the new 10 gallon?
eemmais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #4 
Wendyjo

Not a good idea unless the tank is well established. What are you reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tank you just started cycling? That's the only way to know if the stuff is working or not.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Wendy has given you some great advice. A true cycle takes about a month to cycle, chemicals won't do all that work for you. If your tanks have not been introduced to ammonia yet, then your cycles didn't start. Do you have any source of ammonia in any of your tanks? (i.e. Fish, Fish Food, Pure Ammonia, etc.)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #6 
Myates

Around 6 weeks to cycle, and if you are planning on ottos (a 10 gallon is a little small for them), then you will want the tank to be well established and completely through it's cycle. Would wait 6-8 weeks before adding them in as they are delicate fish who need a ton of live plants, and a tank that is mature.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, tank