Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #21 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agunn1231 View Post
maybe get a serious discussion subforum made for people who want to talk about things like politics, but make sure that it stays civil, and make it clear that anything that is argumentative wont be tolerated. atleast thyen topics of a political or other "serious" matter will have a place a little ways away from the day to day general chit chat of the forum
Ideally that's what every thread on the forum is supposed to be like.

I can't stress this point enough:

If you are passionate about a topic and feel like you have to comment on something that you disagree with, state your case without name calling and bashing and then move on.

Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #22 
Nutt007

I remember this forum being a lot more civil. Sure, everyone was a nazi when it came to tank size, but at least everyone was friendly and brought up reputable links.

And they didn't drag arguments out to other threads.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #23 
Freyja
Banned

The problem also lies in immature people who think they can contribute but arent mature enough (pardon the redundancy) to actually post an argument backed by facts from reputable sources and then move. Also they dont know when to simply accept another's opinion without being either insulted or making it into a competition. You think this, I think that. Agree to disagree, remain civil and move on. Be respectful. It was, however, hilarious to read the "political" arguments.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #24 
BettaQi

I am glad I steered clear.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I was there if it is the one I am thinking of the members made up.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #26 
agunn1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
The problem also lies in immature people who think they can contribute but arent mature enough (pardon the redundancy) to actually post an argument backed by facts from reputable sources and then move. Also they dont know when to simply accept another's opinion without being either insulted or making it into a competition. You think this, I think that. Agree to disagree, remain civil and move on. Be respectful. It was, however, hilarious to read the "political" arguments.
This...I agree with this. Some folks don't know when to stop, Not necessarily by any fault of their own, I also must say that being fairly new to this forum, it makes me smile to see situations like this turn into good conversation about what happened and so on.
agunn1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am really sorry about that.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #28 
MistersMom

I don't want to name any names, but i know of one person, who really seems to enjoy drama and making people argue and etc.

I get into arguements alot , but i word things in a way as to try not to offend others. And if i do offend them, i apologize...

ive learned to stay away from politics in public places, and other such topics, like abortion, or legalization of drugs.

Things like that do not belong on forums for discussion... there are so many different opinions on them, but as we all know, the only right one is ourselves in arguments like that and we defend our own opinions and argue and thats when people, as Slentard says, get 'butt hurt'.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think I will stay clear of polotics parts too.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #30 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I think I will stay clear of polotics parts too.
That's a really good idea Choc. I posted my thoughts in the political thread and then moved on. It's one of those subjects that people will argue about all day long.

What really bothers me is when people start name calling or calling other members beliefs stupid etc....
It's rude and unnecessary. You can make your point without being nasty.

Last edited by Romad; 10-29-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote