Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 
mnbettadad

Betta out of water!!

So I came home tonight after work and seen my sons Betta laying motionless at the bottom of his tank I thought it was very unusual and as I got closer I noticed there was no air bubbles from the air pump so I looked closer and the tank was empty the air pump and disconnected from the hose and created a siphon in the tank. The Betta was covered in a slime and when I picked him up began to flop around so I quickly dropped him into another tank. He began to swim but immediately pinned himself in the corner of the tank. When he does swim its he only turns to one side and it also looks as if his gills are pushing out past the outer gill plate. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so what should I expect from this point? My son is very concerned that his fish isn't gonna make it. Thanks in advance to anyone that may have some feedback!!!
mnbettadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbettadad View Post
So I came home tonight after work and seen my sons Betta laying motionless at the bottom of his tank I thought it was very unusual and as I got closer I noticed there was no air bubbles from the air pump so I looked closer and the tank was empty the air pump and disconnected from the hose and created a siphon in the tank. The Betta was covered in a slime and when I picked him up began to flop around so I quickly dropped him into another tank. He began to swim but immediately pinned himself in the corner of the tank. When he does swim its he only turns to one side and it also looks as if his gills are pushing out past the outer gill plate. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so what should I expect from this point? My son is very concerned that his fish isn't gonna make it. Thanks in advance to anyone that may have some feedback!!!

Yes, I do have experience with this, my fish was out of water for at least a half an hour when she jumped about 4 1/2 weeks ago. It took her a few days to get back to normal, and she didn't swim around much for a while. Now she's back to her usual, active hungry self.
My advice to you is to keep the water warm, and to add some stress coat. Make things as stressless as possible for your fish. Keep the lights low, and don't worry about feeding much, because he probably won't eat anyway. Keep an eye on him and let him heal.
Good Luck
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 
mnbettadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Yes, I do have experience with this, my fish was out of water for at least a half an hour when she jumped about 4 1/2 weeks ago. It took her a few days to get back to normal, and she didn't swim around much for a while. Now she's back to her usual, active hungry self.
My advice to you is to keep the water warm, and to add some stress coat. Make things as stressless as possible for your fish. Keep the lights low, and don't worry about feeding much, because he probably won't eat anyway. Keep an eye on him and let him heal.
Good Luck
Thank you very much I will go get some stress coat tomorrow morning and just let him be for a couple days hopefully he heals up.
mnbettadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

you are actually very lucky that the poor thing was in a wet environment oO. you should also place your airpumps higher than the water line if possible and purchase a stop valve to prevent a back siphon. ir luck the electronics was ok and that you didnt start a fire!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote