Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 
irishcreep

Question Question....sorority type/age compatibility

I have what's looking like a female veiltail (got her as a "baby"). She's cute too.

If I eventually go the sorority route, what are the guidelines as far as compatibility with type and age factored in?

For example, assuming all of these already fit the other criteria (not aggressive, healthy, etc.) could I:

1. Put 2 more veiltails and 2 crowntails?

2. Put 4 crowntails with the one existing veiltail?

3. Put 3 juvies and 1 adult?

These are just examples, but basically I'm trying to find out if mixing types and/or ages is verboten.
irishcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

A baby? They always look like girls with fake eggspots and short fins.. Let her grow out for a month or so to let her fins grow. If it's actually a male, then that's going to be trouble. :o Remember the tank has to be cycled, heated, and heavily decorated or planted. Females are just as aggressive as males. :)
Their tail type won't matter much. So you can mix them together. Put in the least aggressive 1st and then the most aggressive. That way the aggressive ones don't feel like their territory is being invaded.
Their age won't really matter as well, just their size. If big girls are with small girls then they're going to be beaten up easily basically. I'm getting a sorority soon too so good luck! (;
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 
irishcreep

Sound advice. Thanks bud.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

No prob.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I put 4 young VT's together that were labeled as female. One turned into a male. I only figured out when his fins kept growing. He did not get aggressive with the females when he got older. So that is something you need to keep an eye on if you get young females. Usually the male will get more aggressive as he ages. Mine did not and hence the ONLY reason he is still with the females. *whispers* I think he is gay....

In my experience, their age, size and tail type doesn't really matter. I have had young females in with giants and all tail types. After a few days most got along but keep in mind you may get a girl that just can not live with other females. Some say its best to get all females from the same spawn as it is supposed to reduce fighting. All mine came from walmart so..yeah. I fell your best bet for success is to have the tank as full of stuff as you can get. The more stuff you have, the less fighting there will be.

Quote:
Put in the least aggressive 1st and then the most aggressive. That way the aggressive ones don't feel like their territory is being invaded.
yup and be sure to rearrange the tank if you add a new girl. You need to remove them all and then add them back just like you originally did. That way they have to reestablish their territory and pecking order.

This is what my tanks looks like - except I trimmed those plants in the middle so there is a big empty space there now but in 2 weeks the plants will of grown back. They grow like weeds

Last edited by Tikibirds; 10-28-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

From my experience, age and tail type doesn't matter very much. I have 5 females (3 veiltails and 2 crowntails) in a sorority, and the smallest "baby" is last in the pecking order. She got nipped a lot by all the other fish. After a few days, everyone settled down though. Now they all swim together like best friends.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Don't freak out if you see missing fins. Remember with any sorority to expect slight agression and some missing fins. It will always happen but should lesson after a long spell. Make sure you have a spare hospital tank as a back up if anyone gets picked at too bad. If you notice a girl more agressive than the others cup her and float the cup in the sorority. If they try and attack through the cup and can't it usually will help to retrain them not to attack. After a day or two release her. If she is still agressive cup her again. Repeat as necessary. It helps to overstock the tank with plants, real or silk/fabric. I mean make it to were they can swim but you can't see the other side of the tank if you look through one end.

As stated fin type and age do not matter. I have had a few little ones go after the big girls in my sorority. I have some girls that are two and a half inches and some that are an inch. I have a 20 gallon long. Also I find it best to float them all together and release at generally the same time but everyone has different opinions about the initial release. I also am probably going to get attacked for this but it's my opinion and it's what works for me. I did a fish in cycle. I have done this with every tank I own and I have never lost a fish due to this. It is better to cycle the tank before hand though because with a fish in cycle you will be testing your water constantly to combat ammonia changes. It's a little easier and less stressful to cycle first. I have had a successful sorority going for a year and a half that is healthy and happy. They are well worth it after the initial stress and anxiety of the introduction.

p.s. remember if you have an overly mean gal that won't calm down after cupping she may not be cut out for sorority life.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #8 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Don't freak out if you see missing fins. Remember with any sorority to expect slight agression and some missing fins. It will always happen but should lesson after a long spell. Make sure you have a spare hospital tank as a back up if anyone gets picked at too bad. If you notice a girl more agressive than the others cup her and float the cup in the sorority. If they try and attack through the cup and can't it usually will help to retrain them not to attack. After a day or two release her. If she is still agressive cup her again. Repeat as necessary. It helps to overstock the tank with plants, real or silk/fabric. I mean make it to were they can swim but you can't see the other side of the tank if you look through one end.

As stated fin type and age do not matter. I have had a few little ones go after the big girls in my sorority. I have some girls that are two and a half inches and some that are an inch. I have a 20 gallon long. Also I find it best to float them all together and release at generally the same time but everyone has different opinions about the initial release. I also am probably going to get attacked for this but it's my opinion and it's what works for me. I did a fish in cycle. I have done this with every tank I own and I have never lost a fish due to this. It is better to cycle the tank before hand though because with a fish in cycle you will be testing your water constantly to combat ammonia changes. It's a little easier and less stressful to cycle first. I have had a successful sorority going for a year and a half that is healthy and happy. They are well worth it after the initial stress and anxiety of the introduction.

p.s. remember if you have an overly mean gal that won't calm down after cupping she may not be cut out for sorority life.
I did a fish in cycle too. *gasp* it's okay, I don't think we'll be attacked. ;]

I had a female that would hunt out other females and seriously attack them. Lip locking, stomach biting, fin smacking...she was terrible with other fish. That's an example of unacceptable aggression, and in that case she will have to be kept seperate from the sorority.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
I did a fish in cycle too. *gasp* it's okay, I don't think we'll be attacked. ;]

I had a female that would hunt out other females and seriously attack them. Lip locking, stomach biting, fin smacking...she was terrible with other fish. That's an example of unacceptable aggression, and in that case she will have to be kept seperate from the sorority.
Yes you are totally right. That is way too much agression there. I have never seen one get that bad.

I fear the sneak attack of the betta freedom fighters I feel like an outlaw LOL. I am glad I am not the only one who has done successful and EVIL fish in cycles. I still wouldn't recommend them to everybody but if someone wants to try it I see no harm as long as they keep an eye on the water and do the necessary water changes. Everyone has different opinions on what works and what doesn't so yea.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #10 
irishcreep

Thanks guys, I feel more confident now. BTW Tikibirds: there's nothing wrong with a ladies man, but if you wake up one day and you find your male belting out Judy Garland showtunes, then I think you may have a case