Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1 
LizzyP

Heating with a heating pad

Sandy is less than 100 miles from me. I thought I had hand warmers for the tanks but I don't. So now I have another question.

If the power goes out, we have a generator. But the generator does not run all of the outlets in the kitchen where my 3 gallon and 5.5 gallon are being kept. It does run some outlets, enough for a heating pad :). If I put my boys in a Tupperware container (obviously each one would have his own) that was big enough to house them temporarily but small enough for water changes do you think I could put them ontop of a heating pad? If I monitor the temps like a hawk, could it be done?

I'm very worried about this storm. I know Dumbledore can handle no power during the summer but I'm not so sure about either boy doing so good with no power during the colder months. So far it isn't so bad. Just breezy and raining. But the worst is yet to come. Ocean City is flooded already and Sandy isn't showing any signs of stopping anytime soon. Just watched the radar and the path isn't changing. I hope everyone and their fish fair well during this. We can get through this.

Hugs and Prayers
Lizzy
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 
Myates

Stay safe!

You will have to watch the temps like a hawk as they may rise very quickly in a small container with a heating pad. Another thing to keep in mind is if you have to turn off the heating pad to avoid it from overheating, fluctuations in the temp can be just as deadly if it is too drastic too quickly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #3 
LizzyP

That's what I was worried about. Maybe if I can have one tank heated I can float the boys in their cups in it. I have bigger cups for them. They won't be happy but at least they'll be warm.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #4 
DoryAndNemo

How'd you do after? I know this post is old, but I've been wondering.
DoryAndNemo is offline   Reply With Quote