Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betta_splendens http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/180889/0 http://watershed3.tripod.com/map.html
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #12 
Shirleythebetta

Thanks I appreciate the links. I am thinking about putting together a slide or something about the different countries and their average weather patterns. Maybe I can make it a larger slide and show it to my dad. He can't keep betta's alive and he doesn't understand why. He puts them in an overstocked community tank and I was hoping if I could put in some natural history of the fish and some proven care instructions maybe he will get what I am saying. Sometimes I am not to good at explaining things.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Like the Labyrinth is because the waters Bettas are native too lack O2 because they are so warm and stagnent but big many form territories 10 meter by 1 meter.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #14 
tromboneplaya

http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Betta-Origins.shtml

I don't know how reliable the site is but this one seems like it has some good information. Says they're from Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, and parts of China....
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

Good information guys. I think just my family and friends are going to see this but I would like to make sure you guys get referenced. College brainwashed me into citing my sources correctly. I may be able to use this for a future class, who knows? My main issue is since I have been getting into betta keeping my family is getting into it too. Just my sister in law and my dad. They are betta and gold fish killers though so I want to go into an in depth lesson they will understand. I myself want to focus on learning if there is a large difference in domestic and wild fish needs, basically if the needs are the same while including a basic care thing.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Never knew PRC.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Good information guys. I think just my family and friends are going to see this but I would like to make sure you guys get referenced. College brainwashed me into citing my sources correctly. I may be able to use this for a future class, who knows? My main issue is since I have been getting into betta keeping my family is getting into it too. Just my sister in law and my dad. They are betta and gold fish killers though so I want to go into an in depth lesson they will understand. I myself want to focus on learning if there is a large difference in domestic and wild fish needs, basically if the needs are the same while including a basic care thing.
Unfortunately, domesticated splendens are quite different from their wild counterparts so their care doesn't really compare. I keep both and all I would say is that both wilds and splendens require adequate space, clean, heated water, and a quality diet.

IMO mental stimulation of some form is also beneficial to the fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes it is but the wild habitat gives us basic info like diet.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Unfortunately, domesticated splendens are quite different from their wild counterparts so their care doesn't really compare. I keep both and all I would say is that both wilds and splendens require adequate space, clean, heated water, and a quality diet.

IMO mental stimulation of some form is also beneficial to the fish.
see that is what I was thinking. They are often compared to each other. It seems to me that domestic bettas would not be as adaptable to temp changes. What is your opinion on that? I don't know much about wild betta's.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #20 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Yes it is but the wild habitat gives us basic info like diet.
I see how that could be true. Wild and domestic animals of the same species would require the same basic diet. Good thought.