Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #21 
marshiemellow

There isn't any nearby water for them to reproduce, sorry. I might try your suggestion actually. Is there a chance that it'd bring foreign bacteria into the water though?
I'm not too sure if he's been rubbing against anything, but he seems to try to scrape himself against the actual tank glass... nothing else. Is there any way to prevent a potential parasite? I don't want him suffering :(
It's really weird though... One moment he seems calm on the bottom of the tank, then he starts moving around rapidly out of nowhere... I've noticed it twice so far and it does occur close together. Maybe the parasite does something to him at those moments?
marshiemellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There is an extremly high chance of introducong bacteria same with him missing them espically in austrilia.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #23 
MDS91

I'm more worried about parasites than bacteria from external environments, betta's naturally live in similar water. Either way, after you fish a day or two's meal of larvae out into a smaller bowl with clean water, put a few drops of peroxide and a good pinch of salt and give the bowl a gentle stir for a few seconds.Between the two, should kill anything in the water except the larvae, and usually kills at least a few to sometimes all the smaller larvae. I use a small metal strainer-spoon type of thing, probably intended for tea leaves or something, but it's the perfect size for larvae fishing, lets all the water flow though but none of the larvae, so it's incredibly easy to just scoop them right out.
MDS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas naturally live in Swamps, Khongs, and Rice Paddies.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #25 
ravenwinds

MDS91: I wanted to thank you for the well thought out advice your giving. I never thought of using peroxide...and I am a nurse! One of best things about peroxide is readily and quickly breaks down to water and air!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have read of it before.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #27 
Perry the platypus

I'm so sorry! I do not know how to treat betta diseases.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Dont be sorry that is good it means you have healthy fish.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #29 
MDS91

Yeah, it's great stuff used properly, countless uses. Just have to take care if you are using it as a treatment for the fish, as it'll have no trouble killing the fish in too high a concentration. Another note, if you ever dip anything metal into it, specifically my tea/larvae strainer things, wash them off with water as soon as you're done. Unreal how fast it can rust things when you forget to wash them off.
MDS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am telling you larvae are a bad idea.

Tags
ammonia, bacteria, betta, disease, infection, your mom