How often and how much do you change the water?
Do you use water conditioner?
I've had my fish, Bubble, for about a year and a half now and up until a month ago, he was a happy and healthy fish. For the majority of his life I've had him in a bowl... not good with sizes though XD But I've recently (today) upgraded him to a 2L (i think) tank with a heater that doesn't work at the moment :\
A month ago, he stopped eating (and he still refuses) and became inactive, lying on the bottom of his tank. He also started losing his colour and his fins started to rip.
His bowl also started becoming unclean very quickly - a day or two after cleaning.
Earlier this week I started giving him medication which is specifically to treat bacteria and repair fins, and that has made him slightly more active. He moves a little, but still stays on the floor. Sometimes he goes spaz and swims rapidly around the tank... And other times he tries to nip at his tail.
Yesterday, I noticed he was breathing rapidly, judging by the part of him that flares up. I have no idea what to do, and I'm scared it's a bad sign. I've heard about ammonia poisoning and I don't THINK it could be that... Not too sure though :\
Please help! :(
2 liters isn't very big and if you aren't doing enough water changes, he may be showing signs of ammonia poisioning.
Ammonia poisoning is one of the biggest killers of aquarium fish. It occurs most often when a tank is newly set up. However, it can also occur in an established tank when too many new fish have been added at one time, when the filter fails due to power or mechanical failure, or if bacterial colonies die off due to the use of medications or sudden change in water conditions.
The worst factor in ammonia poisoning is that elevated ammonia can't be seen. Although the effects can be seen, they are often misunderstood or missed entirely until it is too late. Regular water testing to detect elevated ammonia, and learning what symptoms to look for go a long ways towards combatting this invisible fish killer.
- Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
- Purple or red gills
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite
- Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
- Red streaking on the fins or body
Ammonia poisoning can happen suddenly, or over a period of days. Initially the fish may be seen gasping at the surface for air. The gills
will begin to turn red or lilac in color, and may appear to be bleeding. The fish will being to lose its appetite and become increasingly lethargic. In some cases fish may be observed laying at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins.
As the damage from the ammonia poisoning continues, the tissues will be damaged as evidenced by red streaks or bloody patches that appear on the body and fins. Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. The fish begins to hemorrhage internally and externally, and eventually dies.
You said he got a new tank today, so that means his water is all fresh, right? Try doing
2 water changes a week. One where you clean out the gravel and all the water and another one with a 50% water change.
This might not be the problem but he should be getting 2 water changes a week to keep the ammonia down.
They can go for several weeks without eating but if you can get him to eat, that is a good sign. Garlic juice can sometimes intice them to eat their food.
when you say pre-treat the water - are you adding in water conditioner or just letting the water sit out for 24 hours? If you are just letting it sit out for 24 hours, you need to be using a water conditioner as well to treat the heavy metals that are in the tap water otherwise they can poision or kill the fish