Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1 
Thebettaqueen

2.5 gallon a good idea for a elephant ear?

Like I had mentioned, I got a new fish; Bluelips, and he's in a temporary 2 gallon bowl, heated by a lamp.

For christmas, my parents both asked me to make a list and I thought "Hey, It would be a great present for myself and my new friend; so why not add it?"

But then again, I really never looked at the 2.5 gallon glass; Is it spacious enough? Will heater fit into it? And any clear pictures I may look at of it?
Thebettaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 
Myates

A 2.5 gallon is plenty big enough for a single betta, and a smaller heater (can be tricky at times to find small heaters, make sure to look at the sizes.. but a 15-25 watt would work fine).

Here is a 2.5g glass one.. but keep in mind usually the glass tanks that small don't have a light, you would either have to use another light source or buy an acrylic tank that size that comes with a hood/light.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #3 
Thebettaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
A 2.5 gallon is plenty big enough for a single betta, and a smaller heater (can be tricky at times to find small heaters, make sure to look at the sizes.. but a 15-25 watt would work fine).

Here is a 2.5g glass one.. but keep in mind usually the glass tanks that small don't have a light, you would either have to use another light source or buy an acrylic tank that size that comes with a hood/light.
Hm, oh good XD I could buy the same type heater I have in the 3 gallon with Scout for it then; It goes from 2 gallons to 10 gallons so it should do fine?

For the light source, I think the lamp I have now is pretty bright an should do good~

I can also buy a small filter right? I haven't really seen them around..

Thank you!~
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #4 
Myates

Yes, the lamp would be fine, and so would the heater :)

As for the filter.. it will be hard to find a power filter that will fit and won't be too strong for a tank that size. I would look into sponge filters if you want a filter..

You don't have to have a filter if you are willing to do weekly 100% water changes.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #5 
Myates

I believe the top picture here is of a 2.5g glass.. I see a heater, but no filter.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #6 
Thebettaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I believe the top picture here is of a 2.5g glass.. I see a heater, but no filter.

Ahhh. A sponge filter? I might haveto look into it; or make a buffer for the flow? I did that with my 10 gallon and it seems to work just fine.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

As long as it is heated and filtered I have read EE have a harder time swimming.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #8 
pittipuppylove

Maybe something like the Azoo Palm filter? I've heard a lot of people like it for little tanks and it looks to have quite a few good reviews.

My elephant ear doesn't seem to have too hard of a time swimming. I mean, he doesn't flit across the tank like my plakat, but he's still pretty active.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would reccomend sponge filter.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #10 
stephanier

I have my veiltail in a 2.5 and it works out perfectly. I think they are a great size for a single betta.
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote