Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 
ShowMeBettas

Quality Thai V United States

Hi All

First, do you guys agree that the quality of the fish over in Thailand is better than the quality of fish here in the United States?

If you agree, why do you think that is?

Here are some ideas I have.

Genetics - I do not think it's genetics, perhaps you would disagree, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Environment - Perhaps many fish there are raised outdoors, therefore they have a steady supply of food througout the day and night. My thinking is that fish raised in the U.S. gorge two or three times a day rather than having a steady supply of natural food all day.

Space - It could be that fish there are raised in larger containers and stay in larger growout ponds for a longer period.

Numbers - Could it be that there are a far larger number of fish raised there so perhaps it's a ratio thing. For instance, say every 100 fish raised will produce 1 quality fish.

These are just some ideas. And if you are from Thailand and have input I would love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks for any input or ideas anyone has to offer.
ShowMeBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco gets there Bettas from Thialand and from what I understand so do many Pet stores.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #3 
ShowMeBettas

Petco

I would be more comparing what I see available on Aquabid and around the forums.

HMPK, Halfmoon strains more so than veiltails and petshop type fish.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some Thialand Breeders Breed 5 star and use IAL, abd livefood and some Thialand breeders breed 3 star bettas for mass quanity some breed for show.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #5 
ShowMeBettas

ial? abd?

What do those mean, sorry.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

abd was supposed to be and IAL means Indian Almond Leaves they are used by many members here because they help with Betta health, and color and are used in Betta fighting because they help avoid diseases, Toughun scales and fins some people say they are magic they come from a very fast growing tree native to southeast asia.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #7 
ShowMeBettas

ah, should have known that one, never saw the acronym

Interesting, yes I have heard about it for years. So you think that makes that big a difference?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It is used by many people it gives the water tannins the Betta would have encountered in the wild.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 
ShowMeBettas

I understand the concept

Curious if it could make all that difference though.

Thai fish seem more muscular, with well arched backs. Their anal and dorsal fins seem to almost come forward rather than sloping back. The spread on their caudals seems fuller and many HMPK the tail end of their body seems to turn up a little. Looks like this is due to their musculature to me.

You think all this could come from tanin in the water?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #10 
tanseattle

I think the space and environment contribute to natural development. Many Thai betta farms use natural rain, river, and stream water to fill their natural pond. Over SE Asia the conditions are just better for betta than in N. America or Europe.

When I was a kid, over 30 years ago, I breed betta in Vietnam; all my breeder friends and I selected the parents carefully. Even farm breeders they do select parents carefully. Some people think that they are mass produced means no quality. There are so many betta to choose from; they do not just throw in a pair and breed. After all it still cost them, breeders, time and money to breed. Everyone breeds for quality then sell at higher prices. If for some reason, the results are not quality then they have to sell cheap for kids (6-10 years) for pet.

Most U.S. LFS get their fishes and bettas from massive farm in GA. I do not remember the names. But over 80% of U.S. fishes come from this huge farm in the Southern States.

Last edited by tanseattle; 10-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote