Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Questions about fin rot

Every site and book tells you the cause, symptons and treatment for fin rot but never how you can tell how it goes away.
My questions are these:

1- On average with clean water with or without aq salt how long does it take for little-mild fin rot to disappear
2- On average against mild rot with medication how long can it take to disappear (strong or mild medicine)
3- How does fin rot disappear? (does the damaged parts fall off while the healthy fins slowly regenerate? or does it receed)
4- How does one know when fin rot is being healed?
5- Does IAL prevent and fight off fin rot?

* When I say on average, I know there are many factors involved, but taking to account that water conditions, temp etc is correct.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thanks I think I am dealing with mild fin rot right now I used Ick Attack. Coppersafe, and Aquarium Salt.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

IME, the black edges will disappear within a couple of days give all conditions are correct. New fin growth within a week or less, complete regrowth varies. I bought 4 females 2 wks ago, they all had varying degree of fin rot/damage. I have them in a 10g heated & filtered QT tank, no meds added, every other day 50% water changes & all of their fins are either completely regrown or 90%. I had 2 that were out to kill each other at 1st so one sustained more fin damage than she started with, her fins being the worse are almost completely regrown. All I can comment is my own experience.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
IME, the black edges will disappear within a couple of days give all conditions are correct. New fin growth within a week or less, complete regrowth varies. I bought 4 females 2 wks ago, they all had varying degree of fin rot/damage. I have them in a 10g heated & filtered QT tank, no meds added, every other day 50% water changes & all of their fins are either completely regrown or 90%. I had 2 that were out to kill each other at 1st so one sustained more fin damage than she started with, her fins being the worse are almost completely regrown. All I can comment is my own experience.
So the black slowly receeds or falls off? Because my rescue betta has rot on the mild side and the damaged parts are just falling off but the healthy hasnt been getting worse so far
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yes, the black will "rot" off or fall off as you describe. How long has it been? The good thing is you say its not getting worse, so you should start seeing the new before too long.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I wonder why my Betta got it but my long finned guppies did not get it?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I wonder why my Betta got it but my long finned guppies did not get it?
That is odd, it's usually due to poor water quality but I know that can't be true for yours. Are you sure it's fin rot & not fin nipping?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It had the black part and missing chunks did a 50 percent water change yesterday.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #9 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Yes, the black will "rot" off or fall off as you describe. How long has it been? The good thing is you say its not getting worse, so you should start seeing the new before too long.
I got him like that from the store, yesterday.

So basically as long as the black falls off and the healthy fins do not show signs of more rot, is it a sign of healing?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 
Bettafish

I got a male red plakat with salmon fins and he has a black edge on his ventral. is that growth or fin rot? i cant tell if its falling off because the fin looks round all th way (no chuncks missing)
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote