Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #1 
Blacklight

Female betta suddenly fat

After going through the hell of attempting to save my male betta from ick and failing miserably, Today, we noticed that our female's belly has out of nowhere gotten bloated and fat. The scales of her belly have lost some color due to the stretching. The thing is that she's still behaving normally, still excitedly swimming around and begging for food (she's a master at this).

Now I've never raised a female betta before. I'm only used to males and what issues look like on them.

My wife feeds her two pellets in the morning and then she gets three pellets in the evening about 12-13 hours later so I don't think that she's being overfed.

Do the females go through egg cycles if there's no male around? She's never been exposed to our male. We kept them in different rooms.

I told my wife not to feed her for a couple days to see if it goes away. I'll try to get a picture posted later on if I can get one as my camera is horrible and doesn't have a way to shut off autofocus to keep it from focusing on the glass of the tank rather than the fish.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Oh yes, females get eggy even if there's no male. There are eggs in her ovisitor so she's pretty normal. :) This natural process tends to worry us owners on their well being. However, the eggs don't cause dull colors. But if she's acting normal, then I wouldn't worry.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Does she have any tankmates? Do you feed anything other than pellets?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 
Blacklight

Quote:
However, the eggs don't cause dull colors.
Well, her body has had no color loss. She looks fine as far as her color. She's still dark blue and red. What I mean was that it seems that the scales on her belly seem to be... not duller, but... maybe a little transparent due to the streaching?

Quote:
Does she have any tankmates? Do you feed anything other than pellets?
Nope. She's just a single fish in a nice big 5 gallon tank. The only thing she gets is pellets.

Is there any way to verify whether this is eggs or if she's bloated from some other thing like constipation? I have no experience with female bettas at all so I don't know a thing about what to look for.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, like the scales near her ventrals are a bit pale? That's normal, don't worry. She shouldn't be able to get bloated on 5 pellets throughout the day. If you're really concerned then 2 pellets 2 times per day won't hurt. If you see some white dots coming out of her then those are eggs.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
Well, her body has had no color loss. She looks fine as far as her color. She's still dark blue and red. What I mean was that it seems that the scales on her belly seem to be... not duller, but... maybe a little transparent due to the streaching?

Nope. She's just a single fish in a nice big 5 gallon tank. The only thing she gets is pellets.

Is there any way to verify whether this is eggs or if she's bloated from some other thing like constipation? I have no experience with female bettas at all so I don't know a thing about what to look for.
You're doing fine with the fasting for a couple of days to see if there's any difference. Do you fast her normally? Most will fast them one day a week at a minimum. I have one female who, to me, always looks like she's about to explode after eating but she acts perfectly normal so I take this as her norm. My Bettas get 2-3 pellets per day, depending on the Betta, I also substitute frozen blood worms & Brine shrimp a couple times a week, with fasting every Friday.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 
Blacklight

Okay. I can't get a picture of her. My camera just keeps focusing on the glass and she keeps zipping around all excited that I'm looking at her. Her personality is certainly not changed at all despite how fat she is now.

She's so fat that her ovipositor (that's the little white dot thingie sticking out a little bit under her, I assume) looks like it's pointing straight downward instead of pointing more to the back like it used to do. It looks like it's a belly button. Is this the eggs sign?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Maybe, maybe. It's not like it's going to fall out.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #9 
Blacklight

Will she dump the unfertilized eggs on her own if this is what it is?

There isn't enough pictures on the net of pregnant female bettas. All I keep finding is links to people who are breeding them and am finding nothing on what to look for if she has eggs but is not being bred.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Yep. There's a chance she'll eat them, it won't harm her.