Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #11 
Kitty Whiskers

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sad I know but to make up fot it they really dont get diseases that need medicine maybe rarely.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Per your PM.....

It looks a bit like early stages of Lymphocystis-google pic and see if it looks like that. If it is, its a virus and no treatment-it usually will resolve on its own and not fatal unless it impedes on daily living.

Are the white areas fuzzy, is she flashing, clamp fins-this could mean fungus or external parasites-it doesn't look like Ich.

White poop in females doesn't always mean internal parasites-sometimes it can be due to her either eating or reabsorbing her eggs-that females do on a regular basis-Stress can also cause color changes in the poop. Watch it for now.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #14 
Kitty Whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Per your PM.....

It looks a bit like early stages of Lymphocystis-google pic and see if it looks like that. If it is, its a virus and no treatment-it usually will resolve on its own and not fatal unless it impedes on daily living.

Are the white areas fuzzy, is she flashing, clamp fins-this could mean fungus or external parasites-it doesn't look like Ich.

White poop in females doesn't always mean internal parasites-sometimes it can be due to her either eating or reabsorbing her eggs-that females do on a regular basis-Stress can also cause color changes in the poop. Watch it for now.
No, she is not flashing and has no clamped fins. They do not look fuzzy. The ends of the white things look scalloped however.

I did not know that about her poop, it still looks clear and in a very thin long string today. She still is not eating either. Should I be concered about that? Plus will the other fish catch it from her?

I'll look at the pics to see if it looks like hers....
Old 10-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I had it before it took a day too kill with the brands I reccomended.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Usually with most of the external parasites-you will have flashing due to them trying to scrape them off and itching.

Lymphocystis is a virus and will not respond to medications-it has to run its course-Usually it will grow-split open-ooze-drop spores that other fish can either pick up or infect other fish if they have an opening from a wound and repeat that process-It can take 6weeks to 6mo. When it splits open you do have to prevent secondary infection due to the open wound-Usually an extra water change over and above your regular water change and good nutrition is all that is needed. I would keep her in QT until it runs its course.

IMO-I would avoid the copper based products in your display tank due to the long term effect.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I never use display I wonder what it was then I medicated and agone a day later white spots covering the body but was not ick.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #18 
Kitty Whiskers

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Usually with most of the external parasites-you will have flashing due to them trying to scrape them off and itching.

Lymphocystis is a virus and will not respond to medications-it has to run its course-Usually it will grow-split open-ooze-drop spores that other fish can either pick up or infect other fish if they have an opening from a wound and repeat that process-It can take 6weeks to 6mo. When it splits open you do have to prevent secondary infection due to the open wound-Usually an extra water change over and above your regular water change and good nutrition is all that is needed. I would keep her in QT until it runs its course.

IMO-I would avoid the copper based products in your display tank due to the long term effect.
The spots did not really match the pictures I saw. I went and changed her water in her cup on the 2nd day with more salt water and the next morning the white things were gone. There is just a place on her that is reddish and one of the scales is gone but the other one is sticking up a little bit where they were attatched. I looked at the rest of her body closely and all the tiny white things were gone also.

So... Do you think it was a parasite then? There were 2 white things left on the bottom of her bowl yesterday that were kind of flat and the shape of a tiny piece of rice. Maybe those where the things that were on her?

What do you think I should do now? I am going to Wal Mart and the Petstore today so if you think I should buy an antiparasite med let me know. Does this mean I will have to treat the whole tank?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

If they dropped off on their own-then most likely parasites or it could have been shed scales-What I would do-cup your Betta for a few days and make some deep vacuuming of the substrate to manually remove the parasites and any eggs. Depending on what they are-they may or may not need a host to complete their life cycle and will die off in 3-4 days more or less.

It could be fish lice (Argulus), leeches, anchor worms being the most common. I would do some research and see if anything fits and treatment options since I only use natural treatments or contact Sakura for OTC products recommendations....

sorry I couldn't be of much help....
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #20 
Kitty Whiskers

You gave good info so you were a great help, Thank you :)