Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
Juicebox

Plants for gravel and low light

hey all

I have a 14 gallon tank,im kind of new to fish keeping, i currently have a few plastic plants in my tank and some black gravel from petco.is there any type of plants or moss balls that i can put into my tank? i was hoping there is something i can put in and not have to worry too much about,id rather not have to buy expensive light bulbs and a new hood to fit the bulbs in. im just using the light bulbs are that came with my aqueon tank.

in the future i would try a fancy properly lighted tank with some great plants but for now im just trying to start at an amateur level with some easy set up and plants if thats even possible,ive seen some videos on youtube that lookedlike that guiys didnt have special lighting or soil for their plants

id really appreciate any info and sorry if this has all been asked before,i did read the sticky but that seems to be geared more towards a full soil based eco system,that is too much for me to try take on at the moment
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I would give anacharis plant a try. In my tank it is growing great with a decent amount of light and just gravel. I don't give it any fertilizer tabs or anything. Its just there and has been growing for almost 11 months now. I would put it near the filter flow/output; mine seems to grow very nicely when it is near that.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
kingofthefishppl

I have anacharis in my community tank which is gravel with a t5 light, it's been in there about a month and grown very well. I did leave it in the plastic pot it came in but i got runners all over the place. my swords are holding up but don't seem to be growing much. tho i have heard they are slower growing.
kingofthefishppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 
LeoTheLakerBetta

If you do buy a live plant, I suggest quarantining it in some tap water; I didn't do that and I still have a snail infestation.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 
Juicebox

thanks for the info,how long do i quarantine the plant for? and also do i take it out of the plastic cup and bury it in the gravel? and should i wait till my tank is cycled before i put it in?

can anyone give me info on the moss ball type things,are they any good to have in the tank,do they do anything for it?
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #6 
Aus

Java fern, java moss, elodea, susswassertang, crypts, anubias - all these are doing well in my -very- low light tank.

If your aqueon light is relatively new (under a year or so) you will be able to grow most stem plants that aren't red (with a few exceptions, the reddish ones need higher light) or very short (if the light is old, it won't reach the bottom).

You should be able to replace the bulb pretty easily, and they don't cost much. Just write down what it is, and the length, and call your LFS to see if they have a daylight version of it. You could also get a daylight bulb at a lighting shop. They sell them at my local corner store, which is awesome.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote