Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

It seems that blue bettas are more likely to get it or at least, all the other cases I have seen on here were blue. I think the theory has something to do with overbreeding of blue's. Then again, red's are also very common too...

Anyways, you said he has been like this for 2 months or so? All of the others we have seen on here have had a sudden onset of this mystery rot and all were dead within 24 hours. That's why I asked about salt, I was thinking maybe it burned him. or sometimes a heater will break and the fish gets a chemical burn.

I think I recall someone fighting it off with Kanaplex. However I have never seen it in stores, only online. maybe triple sulfa or furan 2?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

start with an antibacterial ...start with furan 2...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #13 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks for all your help! It has been going on for a while, so it doesn't sound like the mysterious blue betta disease. I couldn't find any pictures that looked like what my guy is suffering from, either. I plan on going to the store after work today and picking up a heater for him so I will look at getting some aquarium salt and some medication. I hope he can recover, he seems like a fighter for holding on this long!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #14 
carbonxxkidd

Just out of curiosity, this photo was taken of Scully in July. This is pretty much what he has always looked like before this disease took over - does he look sick in this photo? I'm wondering how long this has really been going on. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #15 
jsgossamer

I also think the water temp is too cool. should be closer to 78. Im sorry I cant help with the disease, but am sorry you are going through this.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #16 
DoctorWhoLuver

Is the blackish patch on his tail his normal coloring? If not, then it looks like fin rot. As I wrote before, it also looks like he has fin melt. You're going to need some very strong medications, I'm not too sure which medication is the best in this case, but you are more than likely to need some.
The temperature should be around 80
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #17 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, he has always had that. I suppose it is possible he was sick when I rescued him from Walmart and because I didn't know he has just slowly been getting worse. I will look for some medication today but I have a feeling I might just end his suffering. He just looks so sad. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #18 
carbonxxkidd

Well, I did not buy any medication but I did get a heater.

I am trying the AQ Salt method from this website: http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html and just trying to keep him comfortable for now. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #19 
Tikibirds

Maybe he is just old. 2 years is a good run for a walmart betta.
I'm thinking of that was rot, it would of fallen off by now?

His fins look kinda funky but he dosen't really LOOK sick in that pic.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #20 
carbonxxkidd

I just added 3tsp/gal of AQ Salt to my tank. Believe it or not, he has already perked up! This is a good sign! He is still not swimming around, but his dorsal fin is raised up and he is not laying on his side anymore, so I'm thinking positive.

Now, my biggest question is - I am supposed to do 100% water changes every day and re-add 1tsp/gal of the salt according to that website. My tank is brand new and is not cycled yet...is this going to pose a problem, or just go with it?