Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #31 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks, I will do a water change tomorrow then. How long should I keep up with the medication?

This morning I noticed he was moving around a little bit more. His eyes looked different too, like they had a pupil and iris instead of just being totally black like they were. I'm not sure f this is a good sign or not. He did not show interest in his pellet food this morning but I am bringing him some live Daphnia magna from work so hopefully he will be excited about that. Curious to see how he looks when I get home this afternoon...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #32 
Sakura8

I think the recommended course is 5 days.

Not sure about the eyes. For me, it depends on the angle of light. One betta looks like he has black eyes if I look at him from one angle but blue eyes with pupils from a different angle.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #33 
carbonxxkidd

Okay, I think you are right about the light...I just never noticed it before. He did have a different type of light in his old tank so that could be it.

I brought a bunch of Daphnia magnas home for him today and he has eaten quite a bit - yay! Will bettas overeat when fed live food? This betta is pretty thin and needs nourishment, but just for further reference. Is it okay for me to feed him live daphnia often, or should I reserve it for every once in a while? I have access to as many as I want whenever I want so if he can/should eat them every day that is possible. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #34 
Sakura8

It's okay to feed live daphnia every day for now but once he gets back to health, it would be a good idea to switch his foods around so he gets a more balanced diet. Like pellets one day, daphnia the next.

The daphnia is excellent because it will help clean his little system out.

So glad to hear he's eating something. :)
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #35 
carbonxxkidd

He usually gets pellets, so that won't be a problem to switch them up. He looks pretty fat right now (for the first time in months)! The best part about the daphnia is they swim right up to him instead of him having to go to the top for floating pellets.

Thank you again Sakura for all your help, things are looking up for my poor guy. :)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #36 
Sakura8

You're welcome. Live food is excellent for sick fish. They'll eat that when they won't eat anything else.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #37 
carbonxxkidd

Day 2 of the Triple Sulfa and I can't really tell if it's helping. He is definitely more active, and has eaten every Daphnia I have given him (he's probably eaten at least 50 large adults between yesterday and today). His color might be improving a little bit, but otherwise he is still laying mostly on his side and still having trouble swimming. I did a water change today. I have two more days of using the Triple Sulfa and it says on the box that repeating treatment may be necessary.

I took these pictures today, maybe the experts can tell me a prognosis?

This is pretty much how he lays all the time, on his side with his head raised a little bit.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #38 
Sakura8

:( The fact that he's eating is great but other than that, the poor guy looks pretty sad. If it's necessary, you can put him in a cup or container filled with tank water and float him in his tank. That way, he can reach the surface easier to breathe.

You're very lucky. If he didn't have live food, he would most certainly be gone. If he can keep eating and keep his strength up, that's good. I'm pretty concerned though because it does look like the rot is starting in on his body. :( I have a feeling a repeat course of the Triple Sulfa will be necessary.

You're doing a great job with him and he is very lucky to have you.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #39 
Tikibirds

Poor guy :(

Can he swim good enough to reach the surface? I think I would tape a cup to the side of the tank and float him
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #40 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, it has been on his body all along I think - I mentioned earlier in the thread that I'm pretty sure his bones are sticking out. :( It doesn't seem to have gotten any worse though once I started treatment, which is good.

I am planning on repeating the Triple Sulfa once I'm done with the 4 day course. I have enough to do 5 total treatments with the Triple Sulfa (1 box has 10 packets, 2 packets per 4 day treatment), but I don't know if I should keep going with it that long.

He doesn't seem to have any trouble getting to the surface, but he does swim up there very fast and then right back down so I might try floating him. I will be bringing him more Daphnia today.