Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #41 
carbonxxkidd

Here's another photo that I took today - this will be the 4th day of adding Triple Sulfa to his tank.

You can really see the extent of the damage here. It still has not gotten any worse, so I hope that means it's improving. He seems to be having a little easier time moving around his tank today, and is fat with Daphnia.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #42 
Sakura8

Oh dear, it really has gone to his body. I can see some pus-filled ulcers there.

What I wish could be done is actually applying something to that affected area . . . but it would probably take a veterinarian for that. I would definitely continue with the Triple Sulfa. What a little fighter he is to carry on while his butt's being eaten away.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #43 
carbonxxkidd

I still feel like such a terrible betta owner. I found a photo of him from February 2011, and he did not have ANY of that blue/black stuff at all but still had melting fins. He was suffering then and it has just slowly progressed. My poor guy. :(

I am floating him in a cup in his tank now - he seemed very stressed out at first but now seems more relaxed. He has been in there since about 8pm last night and has not pooped at all, a little worried about that. I changed the water in his cup this morning with fresh out of the tank. I am doing a water change in his tank today and will be adding more Triple Sulfa. It really would be a miracle for him to pull through this...
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #44 
Sakura8

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between normal color change in bettas and disease-caused color change. Don't feel bad, these things happen. Even healthy bettas can have fins that don't look normal.

The daphnia should help keep his system regular so hopefully he'll poop soon.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #45 
carbonxxkidd

Yes, he has pooped a few times now. He is also eating his pellets again which is good because I won't be able to get more Daphnia until Tuesday. I will update with pictures once I can see some improvement in his fins. For what it's worth he does seem to be feeling a bit better even though I can't see any differences in his appearance...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #46 
Sakura8

Oh that's great. If he seems to be feeling better, hopefully that means the rot has stopped advancing. Now we need to wait for the dead tissue to fall off so new tissue can grow back. However, the damage is severe enough that his fins may never grow back properly.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #47 
carbonxxkidd

I am expecting him to not look 100% normal but that's okay as long as he is healthy and happy! None of the black/blue stuff has fallen off yet. I started my 2nd treatment cycle with the Triple Sulfa yesterday, should I continue treating with that until I see new growth or when should I stop? I already know to stop with the AQ salt at 10 days. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #48 
Sakura8

I'd continue with the Triple Sulfa until the end of its course and then stop for a day or two to give him some recovery time. If the rot seems truly gone by then, we can stop treatment but if it seems like it might start advancing, we'll start him back on the Triple Sulfa.

If you have a product like API Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector, that will help protect those open wounds from further infection.

Really rooting for this little guy to pull through.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #49 
carbonxxkidd

Okay, sounds good. My last dose of this treatment will be on Tuesday so I will give him a break then. I have Aqua Safe, which is a lot like Stress Coat I think? I add some when I do water changes. Should I be adding more?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #50 
Sakura8

If the instructions say it's safe to add a bit more, then I would go ahead and do that. The idea is to coat the open wounds with slime coat and products like Aqua Safe and Stress Coat encourage the product of more slime coat.