Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #61 
Sakura8

Longterm use of AQ salt can cause organ damage but I think it has to be really longterm use, like using it every day for months.

Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #62 
carbonxxkidd

Thanks!

Someone on a different site told me to try using Jungle Fungus Cure. It is super cheap at Walmart, so readily available...do you think that is worth a try also? If so, should I still give him a few days off of medication before trying it?
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #63 
Sakura8

I would still give him a few days off from any meds since he's had 10 days straight of the Triple Sulfa.

Is Jungle Fungus Cure the one that comes in fizzy tabs? *is hesitant* Personally, the better choice would be API Labs Fungus Cure liquid, which you can get at Petsmart. If you can find the liquid form, it should be less than $5. The medications in the API one would be more effective. However, the Jungle Labs one won't hurt him and could help, as its principal ingredient, nitrafurazone, can be effective against fin rot. But I've also heard it has some ingredients that aren't suited for fish and can be harmful.

The choice is definitely up to you but definitely give him those few days off from meds and do a complete water change before adding any meds.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #64 
carbonxxkidd

He had a 50% water change today, and I did not add anything (no salt, no meds). Do you think I should continue doing 50% changes every day now that there are no medications in the water?

Yes, I think the Jungle stuff is the fizzy tabs. I will look at Petsmart for the API stuff though and might try that. Something I can get locally is just a lot easier and cheaper than having to order it off the internet.

Random question that may or may not apply: do bettas like hard or soft water better? Or a mixture? I have been using hard water from my kitchen sink to fill my tanks but I do have a water softener. If softer water would be more beneficial to my sick guy, I can do a mixture or just take soft water from the bathtub or something. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #65 
Sakura8

If you don't mind doing 50% changes every day and it's not stressing Scully out, then that would be good.

Bettas are pretty adaptable to most water params and can tolerate extremely soft to extremely hard water. If your guy has always been in hard water, it's probably best to leave him in it at least for now so we don't further shock his system with a change.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #66 
carbonxxkidd

Okay, thanks! I will keep up with the hard water then. He seems fine after the first 50% water change, so I will do that again tomorrow. If he seems too stressed I'll cut it back to a smaller change.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #67 
Sakura8

Sounds good. What a little fighter. You're doing a great job with him. :)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #68 
carbonxxkidd

You should see him eat! He eats everything I give him! It really is amazing, given how he looks and swims. He wants to recover, I have faith in him.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #69 
Sakura8

I'm just so glad he's eating. Once they stop wanting to eat, it's all over.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #70 
ao
TFK Moderator

I've been lurking this thread....
so just stopping to say....

fight on!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote