Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #11 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
You know what is weird? Cumulus was very aggressive towards the divider. So I gave him his own tank free from other bettas but he had to share with 2 platies temporarily. He is a pansy with the platies, but with the divider he seemed to be a real tough guy.

But yeah I have bettas that want to beat up platies, so i know they have to be loners. (Or I'd try it with a bigger tank one day, as some bettas chased my platies for 2 days then leave them alone.)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #12 
speeddemonbk

I had 2 male veils in a 10 gallon. They never flared through the divider so I took it out, ready to separate them should they have gone at it. They never did and lived together for many years as best friends. It is possible for some to get along and not be aggressive towards each other. :)
speeddemonbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #13 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I believe it's true, I have heard of 2 males getting along as long as there is some space and hiding places. I'm sure it depends on the personalities. Mine seemed to be fine but I was thinking if they fought and one got hurt I didn't want to think "now look what you've done!" ha ha . ..

I wish they could breed the aggression out of them so we could have more than one fish in the same aquarium more often. If I ever get to start over I would prefer a big tank, tons of plants, and a community tank instead of all these little tanks! So much work. :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #14 
jsgossamer

There have actually been scientific studies involving bettas and habituation. The research proves that betta constantly exposed to each other gradually get used to each other and loose their aggression. Thats why when people freak out that I have divided tanks I try to ignore them. Scientific research and experience hold more weight to me. I have also known people who had bettas live in the same tank together peacefully. One person had rescued close to 10 baby bettas from petco and kept them together in a 10 gallon with no fighting at all for months. They were actually adopted out together.

Of course, I don't recommend this and personally wouldn't keep bettas together in the same tank without a divider. You just never know when nature will kick in. I will see if I can find the video of them all living together.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #15 
jsgossamer

dont know if you can see this video. This was in january. She actually had them until March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=WRemsahwC1w

Again, I do NOT recommend this and have no idea whether the babies went on to kill each other when the reached maturity or not. Just found it interesting.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know Carter would never work in a divided tank some Bettas are less agressive Carter has attacked many things from his reflection to my finger, wild type guppies even dont worry no fish have been hurt by Carter I think he killed my ghost shrimp.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Call me sceptical, but I am always a bit dubious of just how 'friendly' two males living together really are. Surely, the less dominant fish must be in a constant state of stress because of the possibility of an attack. It is probably only the actions of the submissive male that ensures there is no fighting. There are all kinds of very subtle signs of submission and aggression that go on between bettas, most of which are missed or misinterpreted by their owners.

I have seen some people here and on other forums post up pictures of tanks with males/males living together and they always look either scraggly or stressed. I think apart from OFL's tank, I have never seen a tank containing more than one male with the fish in full colour and looking active and healthy.

Usually you also hear of some catastrophe occurring weeks or months down the track. Either disease or a sudden and unexpected outbreak of violence.

A sorority can be dicey enough. Could not imagine housing more than one splendens male together.

Also the use of the word 'friend' when it comes to fish, particularly a semi-aggressive and territorial fish like a betta, kind of smacks of anthropomorphizing to me. Some behaviours that bettas exhibit that seem friendly can actually be quite insidious.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Maybe they learn territory but a divided tank should have decorations to avoid seeing eachother.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

With my wild betta males who share tanks, they don't have a defined territory at all, they just swim everywhere. If they are feeling particularly feisty they will actively seek each other out and get into a scrap. I have found bettas that it is not uncommon for bettas to hunt each other out and have a fight.

I put two females (who had lived for months together in a sorority) in a planted 45 gallon tank. They found each other within a couple of minutes and then proceeded to fight very violently until I removed one.

There were plenty of areas of cover for them to hide in and room for one to retreat, but they would rather fight than choose either of those options.

This wasn't just a quick tiff. This was serious, fin tearing, scale missing, going to lead to serious injury or death type fighting.

It's why I always advise to people to keep males separate and keep females separate from males. There are too many variables for me to be comfortable with the above situations.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I meant if there is a divider too. Betta Splendens in the wild built defined territories about 1 by 1 meter or was it yard. Now in aquariums building those territories are harder because captive bred Bettas are more aggressive. The tanks also allow them to easily veiw eachother.