Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #31 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I was not attacking the breeder I was reffering to the person who kept ordering Bettas online and ran out of space and uses flower vases.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #32 
Oldfishlady

Had it not been for the brave breeders that experiment with mystery genetics...we wouldn't have what we have today.....

The Betta either meets standards or it doesn't. None will be perfect and this is a good thing and what keeps us breeding and striving to create something special.

When you work with known genetic lines-you know pretty much what you will get-spawning a sibling pair from a true line.
Creating your own unique line can be more of a challenge-as well as take longer.

Question-what do you want-A challenge or a sure thing from another persons line-Both are equally great goals IMO-Remembering that even with known genetic lines you will still get some surprises.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mystery Genetics sounds scary.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #34 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosthetik View Post
I've read alot about how people say you shouldn't breed Betta's from Pet Stores, is this completely true?

& how do you tell if your Betta's [both male & female] are of good quality to breed?

Like, for an example, Richard, my SDet is multicolored [as you can see by the pics below] - does this make him a bad choice for breeding because of all his colors? Is there a way I can tell what the main colors of his parents were just by looking at him? [sorry I dont understand how the coloring combos work no matter how much i try to]

And finally at what age do you think its time to stop breeding a Betta? I've read 2 years & the younger the better?

Sorry for the kinda crap quality pics, trying to get a good one of his coloring sucks when he wont stay still lol.

& as you can see, his color changes alot with the flash of the camera & the angle he is at. But he is obviously mainly blue, red & a pinky/purple color with clearish edges around his fins. Idk why he looks so green with the flash?

In my opinion, as long as you know what you're going to do with your fry once they're adults, then breed what you want. People recommend you don't breed petstore bettas because their genetics are unknown. People also say that petstore/non-show qualilty bettas don't sell very well, but I'm willing to bet that all the members on here have at least one, if not more, petstore bettas. It's because they're pretty and cheap. Noone wants to pay 50 dollars for a fish if they're just going to be a pet, which is more than likely the people who will be purchasing your fry.

That being said, I would try to have a goal in mind for what you want to breed, but don't be scared to enjoy the hobby because of what other people say.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Unless you have a tiny bowl. LOL
Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #36 
prosthetik

Well. I didnt expect there to be so much interest in this lol.

Oldfishlady; thankyou. I dont want show Bettas, I just simply want to have a go. & yeah, I have made a checklist of all the items I need. Im in search of a 10 gallon spawning tank & theres plenty of places around here that sell 20 gallon tubs which I can use for when they outgrow the 10 gallon. I would never just go in without knowing anything lol.

Sena Hansler; No one around here really has a 'type' [i live in the middle of nowhere] as its just usually kids that buy them. But the ones in the stores here are all CT or SDet [even though they label them as HM] and pretty much only come in red or blue. It was just by chance that I found my guy in the pics, thats why Im just curious to see what he could produce.

If it doesnt work out, I might only try once more with my blue male, if not, it's not going to bother me.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #37 
ravenwinds

OFL: thank you for your description of natural breeding. I have numerous tanks that are NPT....my 2 sororities are NPTs, soil based of course. Most are not mature enough yet as they were done within the last 6 mos...but you can bet that I will be trying this method out on a few of my bettas when the tanks mature into the natural ecosystems, or as close to, that I have been striving for!

ChoclateBetta: have you been reading my posts at all? I explained that crazy/scary experience pretty well and you keep stating part of what I said in a very derogatory way, making it sound like I am neglectful and a hoarder ...which I am neither...I made a bad situation workable by getting them in vases...and through that experience I was able to come up with a way to house my breeders.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mystery Genetics, we will see what happens.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #39 
Creat

I would like to say that he is rather decent looking (my first hm was way worse then that ) and I dont rather care who you breed as long as the fry are taken care of and not abused, same with the parents. I think thats what a lot of people only care about everyone is loved and healthy :) . I think you get a nice marble hm girl ( shorter anal, even caudal )and you could get a ton of really nice looking fry. Older inexperienced betta produce weaker or not as many fry as younger ones, dosent mean impossible it is just more stressful on the male and I recommend conditioning him longer and feeding him while he has a nest.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #40 
prosthetik

Thanks! I got a 14 gallon tank today for the pair to breed in - should I put him in there now ir wait until the female arrives [which should be friday or monday]?

I have a HM female on order, I asked for green but the man said that might not happen. Hope so though.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote