Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #1 
hannah16

~ Wal-Mart Rant ~ Share your stories!

This thread I thought would be nice to rant about pet stores or Walmarts that you cannot stand. From personal experience any way.

My rant about Walmart!

So, I was at Walmart, picking up a few items. Normally, I don't go in so late, but I did tonight because I won't be able to tomorrow.

Well, they had 5-8 bettas last time, this time they had at least 30! I couldn't believe it....

I saw the most BEAUTIFUL VT ever. He was pink/purple with a steak of white on his lower fins set right between the pink. I really wanted him but no money until the 6th for a 3rd tank (Getting another betta from polu ;])

So, I left him along with other beautiful fish. If I had people willing to adopt from me, I'd buy them and ship 'em out! Saw some beauties, including dragonscale CT, DARK red VT, purple cambodian females. Little of everything.

Now my rant part (LOL) the man working at night, had no common knowledge of fish and was asking ME questions about if he could put two of them together or the male/females and I was just like .... THEY HIRED YOU TO WORK THE PET SECTION!?....

Your turn =]
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #2 
Butterfly

oh my gosh your betta is SO PRETTY(in your picture). I dream of one day getting an elephant ear.

The petco guy asked me if i was going to keep fred in the little cup...when it clearly says on the cup that it is NOT a suitable home for a betta.......-_- Half the people don't know what they're talking about/any knowledge about fish/animals/etc. >.< Although they are nice, they SHOULD know their stuff. I saw a veil tail with advanced fin rot. His top fin was just about falling off. I would have bought him but I just can't have another fish right now. ugh. sick. One with swim bladder issue also. I bet the ammonia levels are off the charts and the reason why they don't have any kings anymore is because they all died because of their brown water. yep. Brown.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #3 
XxXMermaidzXxX

At wal-mart (-.-) I saw this half moon betta laying sideways in his cup dieing of fin rot.Well i wanted him for sure but to many bettas at once... to many sick bettas at once... -.- oh well i really hate you wal-mart.
XxXMermaidzXxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 
hannah16

<--- Not my betta. But I do love him. I also want an EE <3 someday ~
Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ours sells terrible supplies.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 
hannah16

Something I forgot to put in my rant was that their was only 1 betta in a dirty cup last night, and right when I was about to change the water for the fish, the guy came into the isle. I said to him "This water needs to be changed. You can do it, or I can." Needless to say, he picked up the betta water bottle and swapped out the water.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ours dont sell fish.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #8 
rubinthebetta

I'm not the one who actually saw this,(a good friend saw it) but at one walmart, there were a bunch of fish dead on the shelf, not in water at all, and the rest were sick. Some were even coughing up blood! Luckily, my friend gave an employee there a good talking to. Now, when she goes to the betta section there, they just tell her to take 'em and she nurses them back to health then sells them. And to think that I was the one who got her into betta fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Ours dont sell fish.
Very lucky for the bettas who would otherwise be there.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco says there Fiddler crabs are 22 generations removed from the wild and freshwater.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #10 
Jessie1990

The bettas are never exactly in good shape at my Walmart but my walmart actually got banned from keeping goldfish for about a month. This is the story about why they got banned:

My boyfriend will not go to Walmart anymore (he is not a fish person so this is pretty wierd) because one day I went to the fish section to see what they had and I saw that almost all the goldfish looked like their skin was falling off. I was horrified so I made my boyfriend go look the next day. Well, I'm not sure if they had some sort of flesh eating disease or if it was just REALLY bad fin rot, but some of the fish had exposed parts that you should not see. I will not go into details. Anyway, I was not allowed to visit the fish section anymore because I got so upset. I went in without the bf about a week later to see what was going on with the fish and all the fish were gone. I asked where they went and the boy said that they were banned from keeping goldfish do to negligence. I was so happy because i thought this was a permanent thing, but the goldfish are back and most of them have clamped fins and finrot.

Another day, a mother brought her two children to pick out a fish for the community fish tank at school. I was browsing the decor section and stuck around to see what the kids picked out. Well... the mom pointed to the Parrot Ciclid tank and said "Oh lets get a goldfish!" I about face palmed literally but I decided to stay quiet and an employee came over and she said she wanted a goldfish and pointed at the Parrots again. The employee never told the lady that she was buying a pretty aggressive fish for the tank or that you wouldn't want a goldfish unless the tank was huge.

There are other bad things that have happened but these are the two that really stick out.
Jessie1990 is offline   Reply With Quote