Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Tail biter...

Moonie was in a hospital tank due to fin rot yet now in the small space hes begun to tail bite and is doing some pretty bad damage to himself. I bought him a 10 gal last night at wally world, im hoping the space will help. I really need to get him into it though so im wondering, with it being planted with live plants, filtered and water changes provided, would I need to wait for a cycle or with the right correct water changes will we be okay? Im afraid if I wait the month for it to cycle we will end up with a fishie whos in pretty bad shape as far as fins go.

Also if anyone has suggestions as rushing a cycle Id love to hear succesful ideas!

If I dont cycle what water changes would be suggested?

Thoughts on cycling or not to cycle?

Thanks guys!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #2 
Myates

If the tank is filtered then it will cycle on it's own. To make it go quicker/jump start it then you can use a filter media or a rock/driftwood from an already established tank.

With live plants in there to help neutralize things, I would go ahead and just place him in there and let it cycle with him in it if you are worried. Just keep an eye on the parameters with a test kit often and do weekly water changes (partial during the week if you see a spike in the numbers).

As far as water changes go, it depends on how many plants you have, and of what type (floating, rooted, etc). I generally tell people with live plants, aim to be doing about 25-40% water change per week (as mentioned, depending upon how many/type live plants), with vacuuming every couple of weeks (just vacuum what you can see without disturbing anything).

If you don't want to cycle, then you wouldn't want to use a filter, and the water changes then would be about 50% weekly with siphoning (no 100%s with live plants).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I would cycle the 10g with him in it as the extra room & more water volume will actually do him good for healing. I fish IN cycled my 10g byt testing the water daily, doing 50%+ water changes when my test results with .25 or higher for ammonia or nitrItes, my water changes averaged about every 3 days which is great for helping fins heal because of the always clean water. I set up a 10g because I had a female with some kind of body rot who was in a 1g, unheated, unfiltered container, moved her into an uncycled 10g & she healed up with no problems. It took 8 wks for the tank to completely cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

Thanks you guys! Moonie is in the 10 gal! He is so happy to be back in the dining room where he can be a busy body...I think he really missed us in here. He was in the dining room before he went into my bathroom in the hospital tank and between the limited size and the lack of entertainment he seemed to be going nuts. I hope his tail starts healing up and he stops biting it! Hes very curious and reclaiming all the same locations as before...im wondering if bettas remember things? Its been about a month but it all seems to be coming back to him lol. Hes also zooming around back and forth, so thrilled to have all the space, I think hes really stretching his fins ha.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

heres a pic of him enjoying the tank today...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #6 
Myates

Pretty little guy and a great home for him!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

YAY Moonie. I'd be happier in a mansion than an apartment too.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote