Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #1 
kimbooffmarz

Unhappy Can't figure out what is wrong with my betta!

Hey everyone, I need some help, I'm new on here so I apologize if I do this wrong or are asking a repetitive question but I have had no luck in my endless searches to diagnose my poor fish Maxxy. I guess I'll start by filling this out:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and occasionally frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning and 3 at night, or vice versa

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually about every 4-5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale/dull in color, possible black edges on fins but not 100% sure
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was a very active and interactive fish and has recently become extremely lethargic in the last week and will not eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Within the last week, can't think of a specific event that may have triggered it
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have been changing his water about every two days and treating with Bettafix. Have also tried feeding him a small portion of a pea in case of constipation.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have only had him for three weeks to a month so I would guess less than a year

I have checked his symptoms as best I could but was unable to pin point a cause that matched them all. I have been wanting to get him a bigger tank but am at college and have not got the space of money yet. Hopefully soon though. It's is so sad watching him behave as he is.. he was in the process of learning a few tricks and doing so well and was so friendly! Now nothing.. he won't even come out of hiding when I near his tank anymore. Sometimes he will dart toward the surface for air but then return to rest in his log ornament or at the back of the tank behind a plant and airstone.

Thanks for all your help!
kimbooffmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #2 
MistersMom

Fin rot, and possible other things, does it look like his skin is peeling, or has he got any white spots?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

It does sound like fin rot, usually keeping the water clean and changing it every day can fix that. Also you can use 1 tablespoon of Aquarium salt per gallon to treat. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved in the water before adding it.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
MistersMom

Oh...i usually just dump my salt in , but id go with Lady on this...
And do a 100% water change. every day
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #5 
kimbooffmarz

Thanks for the replies everyone! Fin rot is definitely something I had considered. I will continue to change the water everyday I was just worried if it would stress him out too much? Taking him out of the tank that often. I'm I likely to find aquarium salt at my local pet store?
kimbooffmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would reccomend a 50 percent every 3 days but for now do everyday water changes.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Stop using bettafix. I am really don't recommend to use this product at all.
Just want to make sure he is not bloated.
You wrote that he is darting. Is it also looks like he goes to the surface and gasping for air? Is he still darting? Is it also looks like he trying to rub his body on objects? Is it looks like his body sprinkle with salt or any white spots on the body.
Lady is right if it just fin rot (mild case) usually frequent water changes can fix the problem, but in his case when he is lethargic and stopped eating, it is not an option, and 1 tsp/gall not going to help i would do minimum of 2 tsp/gall of the aquarium salt with daily 100% water changes. If you can find stress coat or Kardon Fish protector would helps add to the water.
Pre mix salt in one gall jug or if you don't have one gall use a container make sure it dissolved.

When you do 100% water changes make sure you acclimate him then he will not be stressed. Just keep him in his changing cup and add a little bit of new premix dechlorinated salt water let him sit for 5 min then do it for about 3 times this way he will get used to new chemistry/temperature.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 10-30-2012 at 03:56 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #8 
MistersMom

The nitrites/nitrates/ammonia may be high also, if he is darting....
Old 10-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He could have ammonia burn.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i made pie!!!, lethargic, loss of appetite, pale, pie is yummy :), sick betta, symptoms