Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #21 
Blue Fish

I believe they can go for something like a month without food. You can definitely try tempting him with something better like frozen brine shrimp and see if that helps.
As for what's wrong with him...I can't add anything that others haven't already mentioned, except for possibly internal parasites? For that some people say any salt is fine, others say you must use epsom salts. I'm not really sure and haven't used it, so that might be a question for a more senior member. :( I'm sorry to be so little help, and I hope that your little fish is feeling better soon!

Oh, and as for the water changes, I don't use filters (long story...) so I change 60 gallons of water every week and a half...(you'd think I'd just suck it up and use filters... lol... ;) and my guys, once they got used to the process, really don't seem to mind too much. I do make sure to put them in a darkened room while their in their cups, and I turn the lights out while I'm acclimatizing them as well, I've heard that helps too.

Again, I hope your boy is feeling better soon!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #22 
ANHEL123

About Bettafix a lot of people had really bad experience. And i am talking about a lot of people. And i was reading it on 2 different forums and yahoo answers so i am really not recommending to use it.

Keep feeding him but remove uneaten food so it don't contaminate the water. Try to soak his food in the garlic juice it might help to stimulate his appetite.Just use fresh garlic (garlic press) . Just put the pellet in the squeeze garlic. If you can find frozen daphnia or brine shrimp, or blood worms. He really need to be strong to fight the disease,so of course it better if he would eat. And also garlic juice will work as preventative for parasites.

The reason i ask about if he is gasping for air or rubbing his body on subjects also darting to rule out external parasites
Bloating,gray stomach, white,clear wormy,stringy shape poop -internal parasites. So check out his poop.
Really next step is check the water of course that will give us idea what is going on. Some people have ammonia in the water. I spoke to a few that have this problem. Really better to use PRIME in this situation.

About aquarium salt please DO NOT FOLLOW instructions on the box it for preventative care. The instructions i gave you it proved and a lot of people used it on this forum. Pre mix at least 2 tsp/gall and do daily 100% water changes with stress coat.

What he has now can be fatal so you really need to use right dose of the salt. And you might even need to use medications if salt will not helps. But start with salt and see if he will have any improvement.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #23 
kimbooffmarz

I have to tell you guys! I'm in the process of yet another water change and thought I may as well try feeding Maxxy while he is in his little cup so I don't have to try to get it out of the tank if he doesn't eat it. Offered him some tasty bloodworms and he gobbled them up! I think the little bugger is on the mend! The salt worked wonders! Thank you all sooooo much for your help! One final question, should I keep salt in his water while he is healing?
kimbooffmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

Yes. How much salt are you adding in his tank? Once you started you need to finish whole course of it. Aquarium salt can be up to 14 days. So see how he doing, minimum that you need to do treatment is 10 days. Do not stop. Do daily water changes . And refill it every day with the same amount of the salt. Feed him variety of food. It will support his immune system.Wow he start eating! Then i assume it not water that you have issue with . Did you check your water?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #25 
kimbooffmarz

I didn't check my water no, if I notice any delay in recovery I will though. I put about a tablespoon of salt in.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #26 
ANHEL123

a tablespoon = about teaspoons. Good if it helping then continue. I hope he can completely recover. Keep us updated. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am with tablespoon per gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #28 
ANHEL123

Sorry i think num lock was on , i meant a tablespoon = about 3 teaspoons:)
Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #29 
kimbooffmarz

Hello again guys! My little fishie did so well after all your help but sadly I think I've noticed some more decay on his fins. My ******* roommate had him following her finger as I had taught him to and then banged on his glass, since then I can't even feed him without him freaking out. I think he may have hurt himself when she scared him, or the stress may have triggered the fin rot again. Not sure :( feel so bad. Hes become so reclusive again. Anyways just wanted to check and see if it was alright for me to use salt again so soon. It's been over a week since I quit the last session, will starting the salt treatment again hurt him or help?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

How long ago you finished aquarium salt? Last time when you use the salt did you use it for at least 10 days?Is he eating? Is he really on the bottom of the tank all the time? Not active at all? Can you describe what you see on his fins? Is it white stringy,fuzzy white patches?

Tags
i made pie!!!, lethargic, loss of appetite, pale, pie is yummy :), sick betta, symptoms